Once I have the phone....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Captain America, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Captain America macrumors 6502

I added another line to our plan so that I could get it at the contract price. I'm aware of the fact that I'm gonna be stuck in a contract with an unused line for two years, but it saves enough to make it worth it.

So once I have the phone, I'm guessing I go to AT&T and tell them I want to put it on my number instead of the new line? And if so, that will remove the data plan from the new line because there's no smart phone on it....right?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

2. emaja macrumors 68000

The data plan is attached to your phone number, not the phone itself. A simple SIM swap is all that is needed to do what you want.

3. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

I had to purchase the 200MB data plan with the new line/number. I still have my Unlimited on the line I intend on using the phone with.

4. emaja macrumors 68000

Right. Swap the SIMS. The SIM from your old iPhone will go in the new one, keeping the existing plan with it.

5. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

how much is an extra line just 10 bucks a month? what does it use the minutes from your current plan?

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I'm doing the same thing you are. If you have a microsim already, here's what you do.

1. When the 4S arrives, put your current sim in it and activate the phone.

2. Put the microsim that came with the 4s in a microsim adapter, if you have one, and put it in a dumbphone. Otherwise, call AT&T and give them the IMEI of a dumbphone (you will need a dumbphone to get the data plan dropped).

3. Tell them you no longer need the data since you're using a dumbphone.

4. That's it.

----------

$10/month and it shares the minutes you currently have on your FamilyTalk plan.

7. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm afraid there may be a small issue with that. I'm currently using a dumb phone, and to do that I went to AT&T to get a regular sized SIM for it. I'm assuming my Micro SIM has been deactivated as a result?

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Yes. You could always go to AT&T the day your phone is expected to arrive and get another microsim.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

See the Upgrade Guide at the top of the forum. Several of these questions may be answered in there

10. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502