Once JB comes out, how do you update to 4.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nrwrit3r, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

I have JB'd 4.0.1 or whatever...once the 4.1 JB comes out, will it update my IOS through whatever method and then keep my apps? Or do I backup my iphone first or what?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No ones knows..... You need to wait for the JB to be public.

Depending of what type of exploit it uses the update path can differ

All you can do for now is make sure you got your SHSHs saved, before Apple stop signed them, backup your iPhone with iTunes as normal and read Forums and Follow twitter for information.

Edit -- If you want to backup your jailbroken app, you can use apps like pkgbackup, and they will saved a list of installed app and them re-install all of them after the newJB, I personally don't recommended (specially after a dot update) since there is not generate that the apps you are currently running will run on the new version of the OS. IMO is better to install once by one in case one create a problem i will be able to identify it right away

PS: you can eat some cookies and get laid as well, highly recommend

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

No matter what, you'll need to backup as every iOS version upgrade wipes your phone out and restores data from a backup.

Obviously we'll have to wait until the 4.1 jailbreaks, if any, arrive before we actually know...

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree, makes the time go by faster:D

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Excellent advice for most any situation! :D

6. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Typically, when you jailbreak for the first time or a new version, you will lose all your jailbroken apps and have to re-install them. Backing up your iPhone before an update is recommended, but unless you have a specific app to sync your jailbroken apps to iTunes (that works and will work), you'll lose all your jailbroken apps upon the restore/update.

As mentioned, until the jailbreak actually comes out (if it comes out), we really don't know the specifics. A userland jailbreak, like 4.0.1, is highly unlikely. It will probably be more like a Pwnage type jailbreak - but then I don't know any more than anyone else (except the DevTeam).

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

That depends on;

1. How many cookies you have.
    2. How quick you draw your gun and how many, um, bullets you have.:D

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lmao:D

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It's all about how you look at it, some thinks that the faster you finish the faster you can do it again :D:D:D:D

Don;t personally share the feeling, I like to take my time and enjoy it ;)