Once JB, Do Not Use Pckg BackUp to restore

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by 3goldens, Nov 29, 2010.

1. 3goldens, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Cydia programs and files, really messes things up had to do the whole process over!

I really should have known better, I was being lazy!

This process is not for the faint of heart and I would recommend after my experience doing this and spending way too much time doing it and its still not right,
    NOT,
    doing this untethered JB if your happy with things the way they are.

This reboot thing is a real PIA!
    You have to reboot like every time you install a major program in Cydia and this reboot takes a lot of time.

The thought of reloading all of this music, files, books and apps when a tethered JB comes around is enough to make me sick to my stomach!

Don't let anyone or most importantly yourself talk you into to going down this treacherous road! There is not that big an improvement and things are very buggy, not as stable, infidiock does not work, and the time it takes is just out of control.

I should have waited.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agree that using PkgBackup to reinstall Cydia apps after major firmware update is not a good idea. Too many packages will be incompatible with the new firmware, and therefore will not reinstall propery, leaving a giant mess.

Rebooting with a tethered jailbreak can seem as a major hassle, I know, and when you are installing the major JB packages right after you jailbreak, it seems like you are forever rebooting, but it only lasts a short while. You just need to learn which packages require a reboot after install (Winterboard, Activator, SBSettings, etc), and install them all in one go, so you get the rebooting over with. Once you have all of those installed, you will find that you need to reboot very rarely, so that a tethered jailbreak isn't such a hassle after all.

I'm hoping that when the untethered jailbreak comes out, we can upgrade to that without a restore. If not, just do it when you have plenty of time and you are feeling relaxed and not stressed out. As I said, once past the initial installation phase, a tethered jailbreak can be quite stable, so there's no hurry to switch to untethered.

3. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

So, if I wait until the JB Apps I run are updated for 4.2 would it be safe to use Pkgbackup or is the jump from 3 to 4 iOS just too large to risk it? It was so nice using it when I upgraded my iPhone 4 from 4.0 to 4.1 I hate to skip isn't it unless there's a real benefit.

4. 3goldens thread starter macrumors 68000

3goldens

I'd stay away from it, there seem to be some major changes and developers are slowly catching up.