Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbrandt6

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Michigan
how would I restructure my internal hard drive back to just one partition with just Yosemite on it? Thank you in advance.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am going to assume here you have Mavericks on the first partition, then Yosemite on the second? So when Yosemite is released you will want to install Yosemite over top of Mavericks on the first partition, then use that as your main system.

So after you have done the Yosemite install over Mavs, just delete the Yosemite core storage volume following this. Then follow this guide to expand the remaining partition into the empty space left by the beta Yosemite partition removal.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I am going to assume here you have Mavericks on the first partition, then Yosemite on the second? So when Yosemite is released you will want to install Yosemite over top of Mavericks on the first partition, then use that as your main system.

So after you have done the Yosemite install over Mavs, just delete the Yosemite core storage volume following this. Then follow this guide to expand the remaining partition into the empty space left by the beta Yosemite partition removal.

Unless I am having a bad moment, the first link doesn't appear to fit the intended subject guide. Maybe a mistake in pulling up the wrong link?

dbrandt6

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Michigan
Thank you for the good info.....

Looking forward to the final release of Yosemite and I will follow your advice. And yes.... your assumptions were spot-on. Mavericks on the first partition with Yosemite on the second. Thanks again for your response! Have a great year!

chrisrand

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Easy fix

how would I restructure my internal hard drive back to just one partition with just Yosemite on it? Thank you in advance.

I can't seem to click the "-" (minus) button in Disk Utility to delete this second partition. I have tried in recovery mode, and tried ejecting the partition, but no joy. What am I missing?

I know this is an old article, but this recently happened to me and the easiest way to get rid of the Yosemite partition is to:

1) Boot your other OS, mine was Mavericks
2) Open Disk Utility
3) Select the Yosemite partition
4) Select the erase tab, erase it
5) Select the main drive and go to the partition tab, where you can then delete the Yosemite partition and resize it back to the original size.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.