Once Yosemite comes off Beta....

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by dbrandt6, Jul 23, 2014.

1. dbrandt6 macrumors member

dbrandt6

how would I restructure my internal hard drive back to just one partition with just Yosemite on it? Thank you in advance.

2. Weaselboy, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am going to assume here you have Mavericks on the first partition, then Yosemite on the second? So when Yosemite is released you will want to install Yosemite over top of Mavericks on the first partition, then use that as your main system.

So after you have done the Yosemite install over Mavs, just delete the Yosemite core storage volume following this. Then follow this guide to expand the remaining partition into the empty space left by the beta Yosemite partition removal.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Unless I am having a bad moment, the first link doesn't appear to fit the intended subject guide. Maybe a mistake in pulling up the wrong link?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks for the catch. I posted the wrong link. :eek:

Updated.

5. dbrandt6 thread starter macrumors member

dbrandt6

Thank you for the good info.....

Looking forward to the final release of Yosemite and I will follow your advice. And yes.... your assumptions were spot-on. Mavericks on the first partition with Yosemite on the second. Thanks again for your response! Have a great year!

6. chrisrand macrumors member

Easy fix

I know this is an old article, but this recently happened to me and the easiest way to get rid of the Yosemite partition is to:

1) Boot your other OS, mine was Mavericks
    2) Open Disk Utility
    3) Select the Yosemite partition
    4) Select the erase tab, erase it
    5) Select the main drive and go to the partition tab, where you can then delete the Yosemite partition and resize it back to the original size.

Hope that helps!