Once you go mac you don't go back?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by someone28624, Nov 12, 2007.

?

How true is "Once you go Mac, you never go back?"

1. Very often true

149 vote(s)
    82.3%
  2. Sometimes true

16 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Eh, sometimes true, sometimes false, 50/50

12 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. Very often false

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

My friend just switched to Mac, and this is her new phrase. However, I know of a few people that "went back" to Windows. Anecdotally, how true do you find this to be? "Totally true" and "Totally false" won't be choices, simply because there's always exceptions.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

On these forums I've only seen a handful of people say they are going back to Windows. In my own personal experience, I've seen at least 20 switchers and not one of them have switched back. If it happens often, I would think at least one of them would have.

3. RosieO macrumors member

My son talked me into switching over to a Mac when Dell messed up my order. I must say I was very unsure at first but after using my iMac for a few weeks I knew I would never go back to a PC. I've had my iMac for over a year and still love it! Since my switch over I got an iPod and an IPhone and love both of them too!

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

On the other hand, people who have switched back might not be here. Personally, I can say that I know a few people who have switched and no one who has switched back. What are your experiences?

5. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I think mac ownership is so far less fraught with the hassles of maintenance and upkeep that goes into Windows. I'm amazed macs aren't more widespread than they are...

6. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

The only people who have "gone back" to windows are action game players. They went back simply because they like being able to manipulate the hardware. (Add a king kong video card, mega sound blaster card, etc. )

One young fellow I know uses his Windows box only for gaming. For everything else, he's Mac all the way.

7. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Once you go mac you don't go back?

As for me. I switched to Mac in the early 1990's. And I have never looked back.

It was a simple decision.

I had countless problems installing and maintaining a PC.
    Bad code in Windows.
    Security problems.
    And virtually no product support, try finding it.
    On Windows installing hardware is a laborious project, sometimes it is madding.
    On a Mac you simply plug in the new piece of hardware.
    In Windows the effort to install a WiFi is truly awful.
    On a Mac plug the equipment together, and you're done.

My son is a gamer, and he's very close to switching to a Mac.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have a friend who recently switched (he wanted a powerful tower for not too much money, and built a monster machine) but he says the next computer he gets will be a Mac again...

9. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

I would never go back for my main puter, but depending on my finances, i may pick up a super cheap used windoz laptop for flights. Obviously I would prefer to get a mac, but I have no need for two awesome computers so it might just end up on price.

but that's neither here nor there...I don't have money for either at the moment...

10. kflook macrumors member

I bought my first Mac in 2003 (Power Mac G4 - Mirrored Drive Door, Dual 867 MHz). Since then I would never switch back to a PC. I've also successfully converted a lot of my family and friends over to Macs. Except my mother...who has a Dell obsession...ugh.

11. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I use both PCs and Macs, because its the nature of my job (and I want to maintain my proficiency in using both). After using Macs for a few months, I do prefer OSX to Window$, but...

A switcher? I consider myself a new "adder" (because I added the Mac to my list of machine types). I would not stop using the Mac, even if it doesn't get my full attention.

12. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I'm too vain to do that, cuz I'd be afraid anonymous strangers on the plane would classify me as a windoze user. :eek:

13. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

not in my case...got a 13" asus and a 13" macbook....side by side haha

14. motownflip macrumors regular

No going back for me. I appreciate not having to dig through tons of files on a pc. Mac is where it's at.:cool:

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We had someone at work they tried to force to move to a MBP. She didn't want to from the beginning, complained the whole time while I was trying to switch her over, and didn't really want to take the time to learn. All she did was use Parallels the whole time anyway. I later learned she was a notorious complainer within the dept. They made me switch her back to her old IBM laptop. It's unfortunate because now she's going to be telling other people who don't know anything about computers that Macs suck because Parallels does and she didn't want to take the time to actually learn how to use OS X.

16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i never 'went' Mac; I have been here since birth :cool:

17. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

I would love to be vain about it, but when there's at least an 800 buck difference its hard to care!

18. wildthing1994 macrumors member

wildthing1994

I've had my mbp since the summer, after the sr update, and I would never go back to windows. I used a friends hp the other day, with windows vista, and it was a terrible experience. The computer labs at school are bad too, there are about 5 full time and a number of part time, computer technicians for a community college.
    I love my mbp, also on a side note, last year there was one mb at my school, that was it for about 1500-2000 students, than this year I've been bringing my mbp and than a bunch of brand new mb's, and mbp's have popped up.

19. atarin macrumors regular

I would never go back! I have to use Windoze machines at work, and I hate it! Why would anyone suffer through Windoze if they don't have to?! I am trying to convince everyone I know to switch (especially since I am the tech support person in my family). I got my aunt to switch at the same time I did this summer, and she was really leery at first, but now, she is Mac all the way! We pity everyone who is not enlightened enough to buy Macs (ok, what I mean by that is that we laugh our butts off at all the dumb Windoze users when they whine about all of their problems, which we are so happily immune to now). I'm even buying Macs for my sister and my dad this Christmas, because they bug me more than anyone to always fix their computer (and by that I mean Windoze) messes, and I am just tired of dealing with it. I swear there is a new problem every day with them! I am just going to force them to switch! They'll thank me for it later, even if they resist at first! And even better: I will never have to fix a Windoze POC again! :D Seriously, why hasn't everyone switched yet?

20. seablue macrumors regular

I have never used a PC only Macs so I personally can't compare but hearing from my friend's who have PC and all the problems -- I have NO desire to go PC.
    What really gets me... the last internet provider I was with would NOT deal with macs. I had some connection issues going on and needed help since the problem was on their end. Of course they kept trying to blame my Mac! :confused:
    After arguing with them, they finally told me, "we don't support macs - only PC's." I'm thinking, WHAT??? That just doesn't make sense to me. I dropped them that day and went with a local wireless company who deal with both PC's and Macs but the guy who came out to install the dish said he uses Macs only and 4 of the other tech use macs too. Their company is very mac friendly:D

21. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

The people who go back tend to be the ones who don't immerse themselves in the Mac desktop. They either use a PC too all the time, or they refuse to change some of their ideas about how a computer should work.

22. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I go back to Windows XP every day at work. I'd say turning on my Dell Laptop every morning is the low point of my day. :(

But once I get home to my MBP it's nothing but smiles :p

23. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I've had my MacBook for a week and I'm still learning it, but I'm definitely enjoying it much more than other computers I've used (all but one a PC). It may be too early to tell and I plan on having my MacBook for at least 4 years, but I'd wager it's probable that I'll get another Mac.

I have one friend who also recently made the switch and I doubt he'll go back. He's been waiting years to convince his wife to switch over.

Two other friends have been Mac all the way for a good 15 years now. And another friend has an iBook and an HP notebook and he is very indifferent, not preferring one over the other.

Everyone else I know, including my wife, is stubborn and does not want to even entertain the idea of switching. A consensus reason is that they use Windows for work so might as well use it at home. I don't get the reasoning, but what can I do? Except for one of my long-time Mac buddies, no one, including myself, uses a personal computer all that often - except for a couple of professional poker player wannabes:)

24. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

It would really depend.

I am starting to see some signs that Macs are reducing their quality... Comparing my Titanium Powerbook to my MacBook Pro I found some things that make me a bit worried.

More Plastic that looks like metal. The reason why the iSight Ligh goes thew the bevel on the MacBook is because the beval is made from plastic that looks like aluminum. The edges that use to be Steel are not plastic (It does give the advantage of no paint chipping but it just feels cheaper though).

Minor issues Grainy Display when looking close up, Dead Pixel (I have 1, luckally it is right where the text is on the menu bar so I don't see it). Just an issue of costsavings save $50.00 per unit by only have a minor degrading but still it is a drop in quality.

OS Glitches, I hate to say it but I have seen more kernel Panics on my Mac then I have seen in Windows (Even Windows running on my Mac) While I am sure most of them are from Parallels still it is an issue that needs to be resolved. Also sleeping and waking issues, This is with Tiger and Leopard.

Lack of design changes. During the time of my powerbook we had major resigns on all the Macs. The MacBook Pro look almost identicle to the Powebooks before the intel transisition. The same with the Mac Pros look the same as the G5s, The Mac Minis never changed, the iMac same design differn't material, and a bit thinner. I don't know I think I was a fan of the G4 iMac it was an origional design. I am seeing other companies incorprating very simple changes to their system that don't make them ugly, eg. Pivoting screans that allow them to work more like tables or face it so others can see what is on the screen. If they keep this up they will be yesteryear in design like having a Baige PC today.

As of right now none of the issue are major but if allowed to continue Apple could put itself in a corner and loose Market share. Linux is getting better espectially now that it is seeing Mac OS X as the OS To copy more then copying Windows. I wouldn't take Microsoft out of the fight yet also They have been for the most part improving their Systems around even with all the problems with Vista, they are changing and refocusing their OS. Perhaps the next Version or even after a couple of service packs may make it a serious competitor.

Many of the switchers switch hoping for the better if they don't get what they need they will switch again. Some of them Switch because right now Apples are Cool if that changes they will go back to PCs.

25. gorby macrumors 6502

I just switched, and I'm definitely not going back unless I'm forced to.

(i.e. Hardware craps out, etc)