Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Going to echo others. Don't watch videos on the phone, use the phone as an away from home information/communication/audio device, so, mostly "text" based apps, so don't need OLED for that. And don't see the need to pay the premium for it (or the dual cameras which will not see much use).

Side-by-side with my 8 and same video playing, better detail on X, but, liked the colors better on the 8 vs X.

shanshor

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
OLED isn’t found in monitors for a good reason: desktop OS’s have a ton of static UI elements. While phones and TVs have much more dynamic elements, issues like burn in are far less likely to occur for these devices compared to computer monitors. Just for example: think of the dock/start bar, menu bar, the navigation bar in maximized windows, desktop icons, just to name a few. TechQuickie on YT has a great video on the topic.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Lmao 2 years? No not even close. It's a new tech and we won't see it suitable for a phone at a price that the mass consumer would consider for at least 4 to 6 years . Just look at 4k tvs. They have just now got to reasonable prices.

4K TVs wouldn’t be a relevant comparison to Micro Led, and we are are not discussing the implementation of 4K TV’s in which requires a much larger production because of the increased display size, also; Micro LED requires significantly less investment than TFT LCD panels to reach economy scales. But we don’t know who Apples supplier may be, which will also have a significant impact.

Also, six years as you mentioned seems exaggerative, if the rumors are proven accurate, It could be much sooner. In which case you have not been following Apple and their micro LED time line. They purchased/acquired Luxeview in 2014, who delevops Micro LED panels, now Apple is alledgely experimenting in a new faciltiy in Santa Clara. The latest from Bloomberg is suggesting the Apple Watch will see Micro-Led in two years and the iPhone could see a three year debut at the earliest.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-develop-displays-to-replace-samsung-screens

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/18/apple-microled-displays/amp/

Just look at 4k tvs. They have just now got to reasonable prices.

Not an appropriate comparison. You’re saying that 4K TVs are now being priced reasonable, which are likely display sizes produced somewhere between 47” and 70”, Which will inherently cost more. Where as Micro LED panels for an Apple Watch or iPhone are significantly smaller, which would also have to be a relevant price in which the consumer could afford for a phone and a smart watch produced on mass level. These are consumer products with disposable tech, Doubtful the iPhone even with Micro LED would be.

Apple won't be making MLED panels for phone production for years even with their own supplier.

You’re reaching here. You can’t say they won’t be making Micro LED panels for years not knowing even who the supplier is or if Apple Will have multiple suppliers that will be able to produce the panels that they need for micro LED.

Last edited:
Reactions: saltd and m0sher

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
This is what people have been trying to tell the Apple sheep. OLED is superior to LCD. Apple should have want OLED when the iPhone 6 came out.

Reactions: m0sher

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I looked at an X and it really didn't blow me away. I like cheap wine just fine, saves me a ton :D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I looked at an X and it really didn't blow me away. I like cheap wine just fine, saves me a ton :D

From the Varying experiences of those who do have the iPhone X around me, most of them have not commented on the X display, likely because they don’t notice or care as much about the differences between LCD and OLED. I think those are more _tech oriented_ who have been using Apples LCD displays for years, are more prone to appreciating the OLED differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: m0sher

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Doesn't make much of a difference to most people and the higher end LCD displays Apple used in the iPhones for years were more than adequate. I'd rather Apple kept the cost of the iPhone X down by using LCD panels as the OLED display doesn't make any difference for my day to day usage.

I forgot it even had OLED until I read this thread, so that's how much I care.

Reactions: Breezygirl

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I had an OLED Galaxy 8 and now have an iPhone 8 Plus. See no significant difference and couldn’t be happier with this display. Your thread’s title is an overstatement.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Why pay extra for OLED in a phone? So facebook and your text messages can look a little better? I can understand wanting it in a TV and computer but not a smartphone.

Reactions: andreyush

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I honestly don't notice the OLED screen on my X. Perfectly happy to get the 6.1" LCD iPhone this fall.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Once you’ve experienced and appreciated the absolute blacks of OLED, regular backlit LCD screens can’t compare. Especially for cinematic content. That’s the main reason OLED looks better, but that’ll only be noticeable in low-light situations.

If your phone is just used for Facebook and texting, then you won’t see much difference between old and new.

The existing LCD screens are excellent, but OLED is an objectively superior display tech. Apple should’ve implemented these years ago.

balderoine

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
How come I went back to the iPhone 8 Plus then? I get that OLED is amazing and it was the only reason I liked the iPhone X but Apple was like.. let's put some rounded edges on it.. and a notch.. oh and make the display very narrow so video is in a smaller aspect ratio.

Reactions: Joe h

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Add another to the "I'm not impressed with OLED" list.

I tried the X twice. Had 2 crappy screens. Horrible blue shifting on the first. Pink edges on the second. Both gave me headaches. Went to the 8 plus and couldn't be happier. I'll be happy with an LCD X

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
How come OLED isn't in every device? I think it is AMAAAAZING.

the vividness, the colors, the brightness. it doesn't even look real.

When will Apple put OLED in their computers, and CAN I GET AN OLED TV PLEASE?

I'm coming from an iPhone 8 to the X, and OLED is simply amazing!

I find that interesting. I originally (one of the reasons) did not buy the X as I found the OLED panel to be underwhelming. Then I switched to Android (Razer - LCD).

Now to the meat of this.... I am testing an iPhone X and an iPhone 8 Plus (work). Working with both devices side by side, I see minimal difference in normal activities. In order: iPhone X (OLED) - iPhone 8+ (LCD) - Razer (LCD). My roomie is at work or I would also include one from her Galaxy 8. I may add that later.
Pic X.jpg
Pic 8P.jpg
Pic R.jpg
Interesting - same HD photo on all devices. My conclusion: the OLED on the iPhone X is sub par when it comes to OLED.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I almost went android this year because I wanted OLED. I do a lot of streaming and I love the difference in colors with deep blacks and no black crush like the Samsung S9.

I’m glad Apple came out with a premium OLED iPhone X first. Now they can make cheaper low end displays for those that don’t want premium.

And as mentioned by relentless power, next progression will be microOLED and we’ll see a price drop while maintaining the same performance. I expect that to be another premium device.

What is Premium OLED compared to Regular OLED?
[doublepost=1524587053][/doublepost]
I find that interesting. I originally (one of the reasons) did not buy the X as I found the OLED panel to be underwhelming. Then I switched to Android (Razer - LCD).

Now to the meat of this.... I am testing an iPhone X and an iPhone 8 Plus (work). Working with both devices side by side, I see minimal difference in normal activities. In order: iPhone X (OLED) - iPhone 8+ (LCD) - Razer (LCD). My roomie is at work or I would also include one from her Galaxy 8. I may add that later.
View attachment 759526
View attachment 759527
View attachment 759529
Interesting - same HD photo on all devices. My conclusion: the OLED on the iPhone X is sub par when it comes to OLED.

Cool screen saver. Where is that from?

thope

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009

View attachment 759526
View attachment 759527
View attachment 759529

Your images show epic black-smear when scrolling on iPhone X. I noticed it by myself first time.

Also, your exposure varies greatly between shots. However that screen on razer tho.. nice deep colors. I bet it sacrifices brightness for the colors tho.

I have both the phones, I think the 8 plus and X are calibrated so well that they basically look identical in colors.

Unfortunately, I am also one who gets eye-strain from X sometimes. I am hating this side affect of oleds, I hope this doesn’t affect micro-leds also.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
meh, I am extremely underwhelmed with OLED on the iphone to be honest. I can't tell the difference between an iPhone X screen and an iPhone 7+ or 8+ screen. When Apple announced OLED I got excited and thought we were getting a vibrant screen like those found on samsung and LG phones... But was dissapointed to find a screen so washed out that it looks just like an LCD screen....

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Your images show epic black-smear when scrolling on iPhone X. I noticed it by myself first time.

Also, your exposure varies greatly between shots. However that screen on razer tho.. nice deep colors. I bet it sacrifices brightness for the colors tho.

I have both the phones, I think the 8 plus and X are calibrated so well that they basically look identical in colors.

Unfortunately, I am also one who gets eye-strain from X sometimes. I am hating this side affect of oleds, I hope this doesn’t affect micro-leds also.

Interestingly the shot for the X was taken with the 8+ while the shot for the 8+ and Razer was taken with the X.
Same light. Same location. Stock settings on both devices.

As for the brightness, all 3 devices are set at 50%. I was impressed with the screen on the Razer (Sharp IGZO 5.7-inch QHD (1440 x 2560) IPS). Of the three, I do like that display the best.
[doublepost=1524599377][/doublepost]
I disagree, and so does every independent impartial reviewer. But where did you get that background? It looks gorgeous!

I placed the link in post #46. I found it on Pinterest.
As for impartial reviewers .. okay. I am sitting here using and looking at them for almost two weeks now. Just my opinion based on what I am currently seeing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.