Once you go SSD, you never go back!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShootingStars, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ShootingStars macrumors member

I changed by MBP HD to SSD and have it for a over a year now... when I changed it back to HD to put it on my laptop, man it was slower than a snail... a 7200 RPM cannot compare to an SSD at all. It's like apples to oranges. SSDs are one of the best upgrades you can make. Sure benchmarks may be comparable but we are talking about real life situation here... benchmarks have no factor in real life situation

2. deosaa7 macrumors member

AGREED!

When I was fortunate enough to have received a CR 48 from Google it has a 16 GB SSD and I knew that once I had when I ordered a new MBP that it had to have a SSD. Slightly pieved that Apple's SSDs are supposedly slower but atleast it's covered under apple care. Also literally as of a minute ago I upgraded my RAM to 8gb...this machine if officially a beast if only it didn't have an integrated GPU and a slightly higher default screen resolution -> then I would be set for the next 5 years in terms of computing :)

3. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

:eek: If the difference in speed is that much, I'm definetly gonna upgrade sometime before next year! Where did you get your SSD?

4. satirev macrumors 6502

its true, i have write speeds of 2.5 gb/s and reads of 3.0 gb/s

5. bniu macrumors 6502a

I actually went back to a HDD from a SSD, all the way to a 5400 rpm HDD :D Don't really miss the speed that much, CPU went from a 2.4 C2D to a 2.3 quad i7 and GPU went from a 320m to a 6750m, all in all, a fair trade. At the end of the day, in my case, capacity is king, 750 gigs of 5400 rpm beats 128 gigs of SSD :D (yes, I did use lots of external drives before, and I'm sick of it, and no, I will never do Optibay). Maybe in the next year or so, I'll consider the Intel 320 600GB SSD.

6. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I've gone back to HDD too. From OWC extreme pro to WD Scorpio Black 500gb BPKT 7200. Seeing as I hardly reboot, my apps still load very quickly and after my SSD's sudden death at 6 months, I'm still kinda reeling and healing. Sold off my 115GB OWC ssd for usd202..(which is a fantastic deal ahahaa)

7. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

I had a maxed out 13" MBA from Nov till it got stolen last month. I did enjoy the SSD. Now I have an i7 13" MBP that I put an Intel 160GB SSD in. The OEM 500GB HDD works good in an external enclosure. I won't go back. It's nice not having the noise, having the performance, not having to think about jolting the drive when it's running. But that's just me.

8. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

Just got a brand new ssd and I love it...fingers and a five year warranty crossed.

9. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I'm looking at the OWC Extreme Pro to put in sometime at the end of the year and then getting an optibay. I'm just waiting for prices to come down a bit. Can't wait to do it though!

10. Philflow macrumors 65816

"Once you go SSD, you never go back!"

This doesn't apply to me. I've had SSDs in my notebooks since 2007. I've gone back and forth many times. I love the speed SSDs bring, and I love the capacity and price per GB of HDDs.

Currently in my MBP I have a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT and I'm loving it.

11. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Depends. HDDs can be more than adequate and provide waay more capacity.

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i don't agree with never going back to an hdd but i do agree that an ssd is probably the most worthwhile upgrade, compared to other upgrades, for most people.

13. Shelf Stacker macrumors newbie

What SSD did you guys put into your MBP? I bought an OCZ agility 3 for my mbp 13' 2010 and on cold boot the drive cannot be recognized, I tried everything, but nothing works. I'm not alone on this issue either it seems.

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Yes there are many things like start up and app launches that are faster with an SSD but all that matter little. How often do you really start up OSX. I always put it in StandBy and most normal Apps you really only need to launch once and running they aren't usually much faster with an SSD.

The true benefit comes if you so some less everyday stuff. The most mainstream being booting to bootcamp or launching a VM. That is just worlds faster on a SSD. Setting up some stuff, installing programs that you might only need a few times and you will delete them soon almost happens instantly.
    If also helps battery life because there is no need to keep some programs running that suck too much battery life. The Dev. Suite Eclipse is sometimes really mean to my battery and on a HDD takes forever to start in OSX. In Windows it is much faster. On a SSD it doesn't matter too much still takes much longer than a normal program. MS Office is the same always needs some CPU cycles when running but you can just launch it on demand almost instantly.

As for programming and dev work. SSDs really help saves much more time than some CPU upgrade. GPUs we usually only need for fun anyway. For the random student who writes papers and stuff and only runs OSX it really doesn't matter much.

15. Philflow macrumors 65816

On MBP 2010: Samsung 470, Kingston V+ 100 or Intel 320.

I use the Seagate Momentus XT in MBP 2011 now and like it a lot. Boots in 17 seconds now.

16. dsio macrumors regular

I'm loving the Momentus XT too, 18 seconds to cold start to fully operational desktop, and 500GB. Just waiting on the optibay and a second drive to RAID 0 them.

17. Philflow macrumors 65816

Can't wait for Seagate to come out with the XT 2. 1TB, 7200rpm, 16GB cache. It would be the perfect drive.

18. dsio macrumors regular

Then I'd need 2 of those in RAID 0 :cool:

19. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

My OCZ Vertex works perfectly. I know the new MBp has issues, especially with intel drives.

20. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I also really love the quiet operation at night. When the 5400rpm drive shuts down and the fans are the only thing left running. Fans are subjectivly like 5-10 times less noise. Sound like 6 db less who knows but the sound is deeper and even in quite environment hardly audible.
    And I compare to a single platter 5400rpm drive properly suspended and dampened in the HD bay not a 7200rpm drive as some have it screwed into the optibay which probably means much more noise and vibrations.

That is something the Momentus XT cannot deliver and at night it makes a difference. During the day there is usually too much noise in public places even libraries to hear the difference.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed, I have become a big fan of the SSD. I bought a MBA (Rev C SSD) last September and it knocked the socks off my 2008 MBP which just seemed to chug along when contrasted with the MBA. Prior to that, I had been impressed with the iTouch although I have long been a fan of the battery life and capacity of the iPod classic.

Cheers

22. Crunch macrumors 6502a

Crunch

HELP! My SSD was never recognized...

Hey guys, I also agree whole-heartedly with SSD's being THE thing to upgrade besides RAM to make everything go fast as @#$%! :D

I opened up my first ever MBP (17" 2011) yesterday and wow, every square millimeter ised used by Apple. I've never seen anything like it. :) Anyway, I have an Intel Gen. 2 160GB w/ TRIM support, but it's the 1.8" version, not the 2.5". :(((( I do have a 1.8-2.5" transposer "contraption" that makes it fit into most 2.5" bays, but not the MBP. When I finished the other thing I needed to do, which was adding the 8GB of RAM, that went super smoothly and was immediately recognized by Snow Lep and Lion.

However, that was not the case for the SSD. I left it in there just to see if it would get recognized at all and it didn't. :( Do I have to format it in HFS+ first? I have an external 2.5" drive enclosure and I suppose I could fit it in there for the purpose of doing whatever to do it that's necessary for the system to at least recognize it at all...?

It's a SATA II drive (3Gbps), but that should be fine in the SATA III (6Gbps) bay, no? Also, I noticed there is only the connector, not the 4-pin SATA power cable to be found, but I suppose that's fine since the hard drive that's in there now works fine with bus power?

It also didn't show in Disk Utility at all when I got the MBP to start with the main installation DVD. It "saw" the external FireWire 800 RAID array just fine, but not the internal empty SSD.

Can someone please help me out? Thanks!!!

23. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I bet. Still waiting for the price to go back down a tad bit...looking for a 256gb ssd :p

24. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

A SATA2 drive works fine in a SATA3 system. Also, the 4-pin power connector is a molex plug and not SATA related. The MBP connector has separate power and data. I don't know what kind of connector you have, but try formatting it as an external drive using a USB adapter before installing it.

Can you get a decent price for it? It may be better to sell it and buy a proper drive, especially since OSX doesn't support TRIM and Intel drives depend heavily on it.

25. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Not really sure if you're pro or anti SSD's but SSD's are useful on a day-to-day basis; they're not just for bragging rights. Yes, a lot of people here like to brag about their boot times and I don't quite get it myself. Personally, my favorite features include loading pictures from a DSLR to the SSD which now takes a few seconds instead of minutes for larger shoots. Faster loading of Photoshop and VM, and just general quick responses. Of course, the beach balling is killing me and I'm still looking for a fix for that from Apple.