Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
If you have your iPhone set up exactly as you like it- what with your music and apps; iBooks; podcasts and videos, do you still need to charge using iTunes?

Would your iPhone need then only to be plugged into an outlet and unless there are any updates you want down the road, never use iTunes again?
Or, is iTunes sync providing behind the scenes activity that is necessary for a smooth running iPhone?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I use iTunes and send songs over to the iPhone.

I have a 32gb phone and 3-4 times that alone in songs so occasionally add more songs to it...usually not removing songs though.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
No reason at all to connect to iTunes unless you prefer to use it for some reason. My 4S has never been synced to a computer.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
Yes, you need iTunes even after set-up. Though that line is diminishing slowly cause of iCloud, you still need it to put songs/videos from your computer on your device.
But you don't really need it to put books and apps, you can just download them straight from iTunes on the iPhone.

You don't necessarily need to plug your iPhone to the computer, you could have it sync via wifi connection. You can have it auto-back up and sync via the cloud.
And you most definitely don't need iTunes to charge your device

You also don't need to connect it to iTunes for software upgrades. When new updates are avilable you will see a badge on the Settings icon. Then just go to Settings --> General --> Software Update =)

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
If you get all of your media from iTunes, no. You can download all your media from there and also update it from the phone. That said, I don't know a soul who gets all of their media from iTunes.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
If you get all of your media from iTunes, no. You can download all your media from there and also update it from the phone. That said, I don't know a soul who gets all of their media from iTunes.

Admittedly, I do. Don't know whether that's good or bad, but all I own was downloaded via iTunes.

I'm going to simply plug my iPhone into an electrical outlet for awhile and see if that works out ok instead of always syncing with iTunes.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I think you need it if you want to update iOS from 5 to 6, and also to make backups. But you don't need it for day to day use. I go many months before syncing.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Admittedly, I do. Don't know whether that's good or bad, but all I own was downloaded via iTunes.

I'm going to simply plug my iPhone into an electrical outlet for awhile and see if that works out ok instead of always syncing with iTunes.

I'm not saying it's bad by any means. I'm just saying most get them from more sources. Amazon has a lot of really great deals on mp3s for instance. Limiting yourself to one source is, well, limiting.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm confused, are you asking if you need to charge your phone with iTunes? iTunes doesn't charge the phone, so I'm going with no unless I'm wildly misunderstanding this.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'm confused, are you asking if you need to charge your phone with iTunes? iTunes doesn't charge the phone, so I'm going with no unless I'm wildly misunderstanding this.

As others have answered, my concern was not simply charging but syncing with iTunes and the necessity to do so.

I now have it confirmed that unless there are changes to be made- updates in apps, adding songs (although that isn't totally necessary) or installing updated OS, iTunes is not required to keep an iPhone running healthy and happy.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
So just so I'm clear:

I recently sold my 4S. I had about 5 gigs of music on my phone, some of which was purchased directly on the device but all of it purchased directly through iTunes over the years. I was under the impression I needed to sync my old phone to the computer to "send" the on-the-phone purchased music to the computer, as well as to back it up my entire music library. And then when I get the new iPhone that I needed to get all my music onto the 5 from the computer. I did back up via iCloud immediately before wiping the phone clean.

So iTunes/computer crap is unnecessary? There was no need to sync to the computer? iCloud DOES back up music?

If so, fantastic. I've always hated iTunes. I've been using it for 5 years now and never did quite fully understand it. It always deletes crap off my phone, or sends crap to my phone I don't want, etc. My relationship with iTunes has been incredibly frustrating over the years and if I don't ever have to fool with it again that will be fine by me.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
As others have answered, my concern was not simply charging but syncing with iTunes and the necessity to do so.

I now have it confirmed that unless there are changes to be made- updates in apps, adding songs (although that isn't totally necessary) or installing updated OS, iTunes is not required to keep an iPhone running healthy and happy.

Not neccessary, but pretty useful to keep as an option. You are putting your faith in cloud computing not to have a hiccup. I would recommend to any of my friends keeping the itunes option for backups, purchased apps at a minimum. You can always store your music and videos in other software, but I would keep local phone backups for sure. Also, if you accidentally change your cloud settings on phone, then put them back, you could easily delete icloud data from your phone and have no options to restore.

Why not just keep it as option, use other music software, and not rely on itunes for regular use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.