One 2.66 vs. Two 2.26

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JediMac, Mar 3, 2009.

1. JediMac macrumors newbie

I'm going to purchase one of the new Mac Pros. I'm upgrading from a seven-year-old 9.33 MHz Quicksilver, so I'm not interested in how disappointed you are in the releases today. I've been waiting and I am buying. But making the decision is not so easy. I'm a graphic designer (print only, no web), so the basic Adobe Creative Suite is what I use.
    I admit I'm not that up on processor speeds, clock speeds, bus speeds, blah, blah, blah. And it seems it's harder now with these new Core i7s. So which of the two basic new setups is technically "faster", or can that even be answered?
    In general, is there a strong reason (now, and looking into the future) to have the 8 cores instead of the 4?
    Also, which of the graphics cards would you all recommend?
    Sorry if these are noob questions, I just want to make an informed decision. Thanks!

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Depends on your budget but I'd say 8-cores are definitely better then 4 since you'll probably be running the Adobe suite which can make use of the extra cores. That said, you probably would be ok with the stock graphics card.

3. JediMac thread starter macrumors newbie

I can most likely swing the 8-cores, but if I can save some cash and upgrade my Adobe CS Suite I'd just as soon do that. So that begs the same question from my first post:

Which of the two basic new setups is technically "faster", or can that even be answered?

4. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

"Faster" is a subjective term which very much depends on mostly, the Apps you use. However, 8-cores would probably give you more future-proofing as it were. I suggest upgrading the RAM since the larger the files you work with the more RAM you need.