One 20" Cinema Display and two 17" Studio Displays!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Jan 24, 2014.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I LOVE EBAY!

Just cleared two 17" Studio Displays and one 20" Cinema Display for my Quicksilver G4! These are the clear plastic ones, that go with my Quicksilver Mac, not the metal ones.

One of them is local delivery so I saved $20 on shipping and one is coming from Flagstaff. I live in Phoenix. The 20" is coming from Georgia so I'll have to wait a bit on that one.

Got em all for less than $150!

Oh yeah. :D Amazon is sending me an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Hehehehehehehe!!!!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nice picks. The 20" and 17" still have great resolutions comparable to current day screens of the same size. Now you just have to save up for the 23" Cinema HD and you'll have a nice line up.

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah. That's the one I was looking for but a bit out of my range this time. This year some time though!

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I have the 22" and although I love it dearly, it's just getting really dim for my day to day use (if I ever get a MDD or a QS it will most certainly be paired with that). I would love to get dual 23" Al ACDs but I don't think that will happen. The thing I think that will happen is I'll get dual 24" ultrasharps. We'll see!

5. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

The Intel Xeon Mac Pro I have at work is driving three displays off one card. Took me a bit to figure that one out because it has two mini-ports and one DVI port. The way that card works you can only have two "active" display adapters at a time. You can't have three, or two active and one passive.

The mini-port to VGA adapters are considered "passive" so I had to track those down and with the DVI port which is "active" I get three displays. The miniport to DVI adapters are considered active so didn't work.

I bring that up on our PowerPC forums because three displays is what I'm going for here on my Quicksilver. Always wanted more than one display at home. My understanding is the the Radeon 9800 Pro will drive two displays and I already have the PCI Rage 128 installed. Which is why I ordered up three monitors.

I'm also keeping an eye on a ATI Radeon 9200 PCI card as I have an extra PCI slot (last one). If I get that card then I'm looking at five displays (which I have monitors for). Provided of course the power supply and the OS allow that.

What I don't seem to have is desk space, LOL!

6. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Won the auction.

So, that's one ATI Radion 9800 256mb AGP and one ATI Radeon 9200 LE 128mb PCI. And the Rage 128 I already have.

Going to be a nice setup if I can make it all work!

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are all of these going to be connected to the same computer?

8. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm going to try. If I can't do that then at least I have choices. Right now all I have is a GeForce 2 MX and a Rage 128. One HDTV and a crappy Gateway FPD1810 18" monitor.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

How will you be powering the additional ADC screens?

10. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

DVI TO ADC converter boxes as I can afford them. This is a project. Building my pieces.

Might take a hand at building my own box though. There are instructions on the 'net.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Pricy endeavor you're undertaking. The results will be rather nice. Just note that if you are planning on ever using the ADC-DVI adapters with newer Macs that only the Apple ones work with mini-DP machines and that 10.9 dropped support for them, but it can be re-added via a kext insertion.

12. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, pricey, but other than the 17" PowerBook I have, the Quicksilver is the only other Mac I ever REALLY wanted. And my Macs tend to be my daily drivers for years so this will be invested over time.

I tend to jump in with both feet and damn the torpedos so money pit or not I am going to enjoy the end result, which will be nice as you say. I'm trying to keep this all period to the Quicksilver in the sense of what was available for purchase during that time. One of the reasons the cost is so high. If I wasn't trying to do that I'd just plunk down for 3 or 4 22-23" no name displays. If I had the money all right now though, all the displays would be the 23" Cinema HD displays.

At work I have an MP and my boss pays for the parts I need so in that I have an advantage of seeing what will or won't work. The other benefit is more ego.

My wife who doesn't do tech remarked that the new 17" Studio Display I brought home today (eBay local pickup, the guy was in Tempe, AZ about 45 mins from me) looked "pretty". High praise from her. :D

BTW, the new Studio Display. The GeForce MX2 has an ADC port.

Attached Files:

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One thing that goes rather nicely with those ADC screens is a set of Cube speakers. With the USB port, they plug into the screen instead of using the regular Pro Speaker's short cable to reach the tower. Also nice that the ADC screens have a long cable.

14. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

It helps that I prefer these screens to the metal Cinema displays.

Up until August 2003, all the displays I worked on in the business were third party screens. The first ADC monitor I used was at a new job when they got the very first 1.6Ghz G5. I was not used to the slant of the screen so cursed it to no end.

In my new job in Feb. 2005, when they company bought me the 1.8Ghz G5 that I worked on until last year it had the metal Cinema Display. At first I thought it was cool, but I quickly grew tired of the metal experience. Eventually I realized that I really liked the old ADC plastic displays.

Now that I have one (the same size as the one that came with that old 1.6Ghz G5) I am really happy with it. It's a very, very nice screen and really goes well with the QS.

I think I am totally going to enjoy getting all of this together and working.

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Nice, 17" is my sweet spot. The only thing with the plastic displays is that they can bubble up. Mine has a huge one on the bottom left.

16. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

So the ADC/DVI adaptor isn't working under Mavericks? My Mac Pro has 10.9 and it works just fine and I didn't need to re-add kexts or anything. Even with my MBA using a MDP->DVI it still worked fine.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It works, but the screen adjustments, like light brightness and the power button, don't. If you upgraded from 10.8, it may work because the kexts would still be there. But a clean installation of 10.9 won't be able to adjust the screen.

18. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

That would make sense. The brightness buttons work but the power does not. And this was with clean installs of MV.

19. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

ATI Radeon 9200 came today. Once I got drivers installed and the correct resolution for the HDTV everything was fine.

Still waiting on the 9800 from Amazon. Seller hasn't responded to my inquiries so we'll see what happens.

Anyway, as it stands right now, 1 NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX, 1 ATI Radeon 9200 LE and 1 ATI Rage 128. At the moment I can drive four displays, but I'm using three because the fourth monitor is ADC and I don't have an adapter yet.

Attached Files:

20. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Darn! The local university surplus had 2 in original box for $20 each last week, I should have gotten them.

21. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh man! Oh well. It'll come. Like most of the stuff I get it's the right stuff at the right price at the right time. Keep an eye open for me though! :D