One 4G with broken screen, but spare 4G nearby

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bellsers, Dec 10, 2011.

1. bellsers macrumors newbie

Hi,

So finally after owning each iPhone since it came out, I broke a screen. Just the glass, not the touch sensor. It is not going to be good.

I know there are places I can send it off to and kits I can get but it just so happens that I also have another 4G that I never use. Work got it for me and I simply leave it plugged in and forward all my calls to my personal cell (never have to carry two phones).

Which would be easiest/cheapest?

1. Getting a glass repair kit?

1b. Which is the best deal? I have no special tools although I suspect I can use a plastic knife instead of their weird removal tool to lift things up.

2. Swapping out the spare phone's screen with the broken screen? I could easily tell work that the otherwise pristine phone was dropped and it would not be an issue

3. Going to a cell phone store and asking them to swap out the broken glass for new glass

I have been leaning towards option 2, although I think from the videos i have seen, the process would involve what is described as an hour long process for one screen replacement to probably 2.5 hours at least, since i would be removing and attaching a screen 4 times in total

Thoughts? For a second I thought I could swap the SIM and the HD but there is probably something that will bite me since both phones are jailbroken and on different OSs and jailbroken by different tools.

Thanks!

Bellsers

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If I was you, I just swap out the logic board, it takes about 30 minutes to do and faster than swapping out the screen because with Iphone 4, you actually start to take part our from the back, so screen is at the bottom.

Iphone 3G/3GS do not take long to swap out screen because all you need to do is take out the 2 screws at the bottom and 3 connection points.

3. bellsers thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice - thanks a lot for that I would not have thought about a simpler issue, it seems as though it would be easier to take something off that is close to the surface, but there may be logic behind the design (of course).

The Logic Board - and the SIM as well? Not exactly sure what roles the Logic Board plays. I will poke around to see if I can find what it is - I would of course like to keep my SIM and HD, etc...

Thanks for the tip! I am headed off to search for a video or similar to do what you suggest.

Best,

B

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Logic board is the CPU that run the phone. Below is the link of tutorial on how to do it;

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-4-Logic-Board/3143/1

5. bellsers thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It would be helpful if you have a tray or a piece of magnet to keep these screws together. Make sure you group them together with components that go with them and you are good. Actually, there are not many screws as you think. :D

What I did was to follow direction to from the beginning to take it apart, then click back arrow to put them back together.

Good luck.