One App freezing after the other until total System freeze -> Hard reset

Discussion in 'macOS' started by teekayx, Jul 21, 2008.

1. teekayx macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

since I installed 10.5.4 I have a severe problem with my Mac OS X: Sometimes (it happen every 2-4 days), one applications stops responding and the spinning beach ball appears. E.g. I am surfing in Safari and the app suddenly stops responding. When I click on another app in the dock, then this programm, althought it was working fine, also stops responding. Each and every programm I click stops responding.

I thought I could kill all apps by having a terminal window open, but when i switched to terminal, and entered "kill -9 -1" nothing happened - the shell never returned. So after a while every little programm stops responding and the whole system hangs, or let's say the UI hangs or whatever. All I can do then is to press the On/Off Switch for 5 seconds to shut the computer off and start it again.

Does anybody else have this problem? I am really freaking out because this makes my whole mac experience so unreliable and I feel warped back to windows days!

PS: I have a Mac Book Pro (Model: MacBookPro2,2)

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

What do you see in the system logs in Console?

3. teekayx thread starter macrumors newbie

If you could tell me which system logs I should check.. I just checked something and there was nothing "suspicious" written there until the restart.

4. teekayx thread starter macrumors newbie

*shameless bump*

does nobody else have any similar issues?

5. F.K. macrumors newbie

We share the same problem...

...with the same hardware, a MacBook Pro.
    It happens almost once a day that one app (mostly Safari) stops responding. When I switch to any other open app, this one get "infected" too.
    At the end I have to do a hard reset on my Macbook.

Yeah, you're right, its just like my good old Windows PC !

Well, I haven't got a clue to get rid of that problem, but your not alone anymore...;)

6. teekayx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot F.K. :) I started thinking I was the only one having these issues.. it's really unnerving because you always feel like it can happen now. Double-checking every document, saving everything every 3 minutes is really generating some sort of stress. Hope this gets fixed with the next update!

7. thedommer macrumors regular

has this been resolved yet? Ive been having this issue on my mac pro. Total nightmare. im on 6 months with the computer and was given 2 replacements. both had the same issue. (one had a major hardware defect also). Im at a totla loss as to how to fix this. its causing serious errors because its so random. especially when it freezes and im installing an app or transferring large files.

for the full rundow of my sadness go here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8269863#8269863

8. thedommer macrumors regular

a question for everyone experiencing this problem.... are you using digidesign products? specifically the mbox2?

9. Messier77 macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem sometimes (every few days), usually while using firefoz, ical and adium. I've found that it often occurs at the moment that time machine tries to begin any kind of large backup (1GB+) and sometimes I can revive the computer by unplugging my firewire external HD. However, the unplugging trick does not always work and at times it remains so frozen need to hold down the power button to turn it off.

My computer is an old school MPB 2.16 Core Duo, 2GB RAM, X1600 256MB running 10.5.5