One background image per space?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by boz0, Oct 30, 2007.

1. boz0 macrumors regular

Has anybody yet found a way to apply a different wallpaper to each space?

2. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I've never even tried yet... but that would be good. I never thought about it but that sounds like a good idea!

The Stig

Sorry for not being helpful...

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i dont think theres a way to do it. the way i see it is Spaces was designed not for multiple "desktops" but more "space" for your apps and desktop clutter.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Having different background pics would make it easier to identify different spaces quicker.

5. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

6. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

I fail to see the difference between your two descriptions. Spaces are a matter of having more screen real estate and organizing your windows on the different virtual displays, which is exactly what virtual desktops have been like on most unix systems for the past 10 or 15 years.

Besides, I don't think there's any kind of design issue here. There's a way to uniquely identify a space in Leopard, and there's a way to tie down a specific window to that space. It shouldn't be much harder to tie down a specific background image to that space. All we need is for an enterprising and knowledgeable developer (which, I am sorry to say, I am not) to build a tool for that, and I was wondering whether one such already existed :)

7. Fourno macrumors newbie

true, but i just put up the spaces icon in the menu-bar
    that way i see the space i'm currently working on directly

8. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the real need for having different backgrounds in different spaces is that it looks cool, isn't it? ;)

9. projectle macrumors 6502

Spaces IS Expose!

Spaces is just another effect that is used to reorder your applications. It calls the same functions as you can see in the "Sample Process" function of Activity Monitor.

10. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

What does the integration between Spaces and Expose have to do with the ability to use different background images?

11. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I think he's saying that all the OS does is hide the applications when it "switches" spaces. They aren't different desktops, and chances are it would take up more system resources to allow you to change backgrounds for each individual space.

12. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

I think this is harder for apple to implement than you might think. On most of the *nix's that have had multiple desktops for many many years you still can't have a different background per page. There are ways to do it ...but they are pretty ugly (like just replacing the background whenever you change page!)

13. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

How is that different than having different backgrounds per page?

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

OS X doesn't hide the apps when you switch spaces. i made my dock icons dim when i hide my apps and they certainly dont dim when i switch spaces.

15. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I could see it being an update for Leopard down the road, like 10.5.2 or 3. Only if its complained by so many people. I think it would help also to identify a "space" quicker.

16. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

Errr ... I think I've seen this functionality on Linux for about as long as I can remember (okay, I'm stretching the truth a bit here, that was not the case back in 1995 on my first Slackware, but still).

It's also been a functionality of CDE (the Common Desktop Environment, included in many commercial Unixes) for a very long time. Sure, at the time it used pre-defined backdrops and not elaborate pictures, but each virtual space had its own. I remember using it around 1996/1997, though I honestly don't know whether it was already part of the first CDE release (1993).

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

This seems to be a glaring omission. You Control Desktops has had the ability for different desktop wallpaper for years. Hopefully, Apple will rectify this in its first update.

18. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I'd really like to put files on different spaces say safari d/ls to space 1 which it is assigned to

and then you could drag the file to whatever space you need it in. Then it would be like having 32 desktops if you really wished to!

19. adman635 macrumors newbie

Bump

First post! I use this site so much I wanted to register and contribute something...

And so since nobody has posted this yet, here's one solution (link below, read first).

Scroll down and find the second uploaded beta and read the instructions. You need to create an Application Support/SpaceStation folder with jpegs labeled "1.jpg" "2.jpg" etc for all your spaces. Then leave Terminal running and whenever you switch it will tell System Prefs to change the background based on the jpegs.

It's a rough solution, but certainly neat.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/983005558831/inc/1

Cheers mates.

20. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that looks interesting. The memory leak's too bad, though. I'll give it a try when I get the time (and if that's still not in 10.5.2 :D)

21. CountPollen macrumors member

HyperSpaces

Hi,

Think I can help you all out.
    There now is a "new" app that appears to modify/override Spaces settings and allow users to use different wallpapers and shortcut keys for every space.
    It's called hyperspaces.

Check out http://hyperspacesapp.com/

Still I don't think this is as good as the linux implementation of multiple desktops. I was surprised when I switched from linux to OS X that this feature wasn't present. I refuse to use the current version of Spaces because it is terribly implemented. Especially the special effects when switching applications (recently this was partly solved with a small update of Spaces).

I think hyperspaces is closer to how it should be in the near future.
    But I still miss a rotating desktop cube to show off with ;)

22. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Spaces is not terribly implemented, just because it doesnt have fancy glitz and glamour doesnt mean its a badly implemented app. I think its a wonderful application for the job its supposed to do. just because you dont get a pretty spinning cube and different backgrounds it doesnt mean spaces is useless. It allows you to run different applications in different desktops and avoid clutter, if you want eyecandy and optical illusion theres many other things for that.

23. CountPollen macrumors member

OK, you're right. I should have formulated it differently.
    Spaces is an early version of what linux desktops can do at the moment.
    In my opinion, applications like hyperspaces could push apple in the right direction, adding more functionality to the current Spaces.
    Further, I didn't say that the current Spaces was completely useless. I use it a lot. The only thing that was annoying before was switching between applications without being able to turn off or modify the visual effects. Still, there are only 4 options for switching between Spaces: Ctrl, Option, Command keys in combinagtion with numbers 1 - 0 and the mouse.
    This only allows 10 Spaces to be easily switched between (which is enough for most users).
    I merely suggested that some improvements could be made, so that I wouldn't have to use additional applications to add eyecandy.

Also, I found the application Conjure a while ago, but I don't think it is stable enough to be a desktop replacemet. It adds some nice features however.
    (URL: http://www.conjurebunny.com/Conjure_3.html )

Cheers,
    CountPollen

-= MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, OS X 10.5.5=-

24. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Thanks for the link Count, I take a look at it after i get off work.

25. Winobie macrumors newbie