Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Hi MR,

Like the title says, my iMac is beeping once every five seconds at startup. Results from Google all say this means the iMac is not detecting any RAM.

First I tried reseating the RAM, in the same slots, different slots, and that didn't work.

Then, thinking that my RAM sticks went bad, I bought new RAM. Put them in and they didn't work either.

So now I have no idea what's wrong. Is this now a problem with the logic board not detecting the RAM? am I going to have to replace the entire logic board?

Paul B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Would love to get some insight on this, if anyone has been in a similar situation. Been scouring the net and it seems most people resolved this by reseating the RAM...

Paul B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
My iMac doesn't boot up at all. After powering on, goes straight to the beeping.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
only if it beeps 3 times in a row is ram the issue, as far as i know,

wait sorry thats incorrect. dont mind me :D

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
Your original RAM should be known good parts, put them back in. We are all assuming you know how hard you have to push RAM to seat it in slots, it is disturbingly hard sometimes.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just tried this (holding D) but nothing comes up. Just a black screen and the aforementioned beeping.

It's looking more and more like a faulty logic board :(

What OS version are you on? Older versions you have to run the hardware test from the grey installer DVD.

Paul B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Your original RAM should be known good parts, put them back in. We are all assuming you know how hard you have to push RAM to seat it in slots, it is disturbingly hard sometimes.
I believe I am doing so. I'm painfully putting them in until it seems they can't go back any further, but this whole process is making me second guess myself...

What OS version are
you on? Older versions you have to run the hardware test from the grey installer DVD.
OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard. The iMac isn't even taking discs at this point.

nufanec

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
POST beeps:

1 beep = no RAM installed
2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
3 beeps = no good banks
4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)
5 beeps = processor is not usable

--

1 beep is usually the logic board, especially given that you have tried different RAM.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
POST beeps:

1 beep = no RAM installed
2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
3 beeps = no good banks
4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)
5 beeps = processor is not usable

--

1 beep is usually the logic board, especially given that you have tried different RAM.

This ^^^^^ 1 beep = no ram = bad logic board in this case. Take the computer to an apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.