One bending detail we all forgot about. The rigidity of the glass side.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Korican100, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

All bending tests bend with the glass side facing out.
    The recent Consumer Reports test gave lbs of force per device, but all of them were facing glass side out.

There are two things I would like to point out:

1. If the glass facing INWARDS would be weaker, then THAT should be the threshold for the phone bending, as it should be whatever is the weaker between the two.
    2. If the glass faces inwards, yet it takes MORE lbs of pressure to bend, then that indicates everyone should carry their iphone in the pocket with the glass facing inwards to minimize bending.

To summarize, there should be bend tests that show bending both ways. Glass facing inward is weaker? THAT's the minimal force it will take to bend/shatter. Glass facing inward stronger? That's the side we want facing us in our pockets.

2. wxman2003 Suspended

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The glass is so thin, I do not think it makes a difference.

What might make a difference is the shape of the case with the integrated rounded edges being part of the back of the phone.

4. Korican100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Korican100

Has anyone found a video where they are bending glass facing inward?

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, but I did see one where they shot a .50 bullet through an iPhone 6+.

The glass broke.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's thin, but it appears to be reinforced:

[​IMG]

7. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

Since bending in your pocket is not an issue unless you place about 100 lbs of force in the middle of the phone, this is a non-issue.

What is more likely is shattering the glass from bumping into a hard object. Therefore, I always place my phones with the glass facing inwards to minimize shattering.

8. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I have thought about this as well. I always face my glass to the inside and I never see any test trying to bend the phone in from the screen side.

I also wanna see them actually put a 6 plus on their pocket and sit down for a bit to see if pants and a soft leg will really warp the iPhone.

9. Korican100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Korican100

100 lbs of force from the non-glass side. What if it takes 60lbs to break/bend the phone from the glass side. What if it takes 130 lbs from the glass side?

Either way will dictate how we should face the phone in regards to pocket damage.

10. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

The phone bends from the front or back under equal force. The structural support is generated by the side edges of the phone.

This is pretty clear as the bending occurs at the weak spot created by the volume buttons. The orientation of the phone does not affect how it absorbs the lateral force before deforming.

The only difference would be trying to bend the phone perpendicular to the plane described by the screen.

Regardless, the phone bending in a pocket under normal circumstances has been shown to be a non-issue. You should worry about breaking a bone in your leg considering the lateral force that is necessary to deform the phone.

11. Korican100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Korican100

I disagree somewhat. If the bending occurs with the glass facing inwards, there maybe less force required to simply crack the screen, separate the glass, or any other front related damage. Due to the thin structure of the phone, we are not only looking for bending, we are looking for structural weaknesses period. Since the phone can be any orientation at any time, it makes more sense to know what side is more fragile, and what side is stronger.

Due to all tests executing the bend from the rear of the device, we are unable to see if the force needed for damage to occur is lower from the glass side. Bending from the rear dictates the structural damage by pushing everything glass out. The only pressure the glass feels is from the rear as opposed to a 'glass inward' test where all pressure would be on the glass. This changes the dynamic altogether.

12. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

You do have a point, but I think future tests will show that velocity of impact also plays a factor when it comes to cleaving or shattering the glass.

I do think that the bending itself is prevented by the sides. I don't think the internal cage is biased towards the front or the back.

13. K.Audrey macrumors newbie

Huh?

I'm confused. Doesn't everyone already know "bendgate" was just a stupid rumor? Now if the guy from America's Got Talent - the one who bends 10 license plates at once and leaps through 6 foot thick panels of ice - got his hands on an iPhone 6 plus... ummm... he might USE it?

14. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Next thing you know we'll have Bulletgate. :rolleyes:

"iPhone glass doesn't survive a bullet! Don't buy!"

15. K.Audrey macrumors newbie

Weird People

WHO are these people that get their hands on iPhone 6 pluses... and choose to try their best to Bend them? Gee... I wonder... Who would want to do That - a Real consumer who is thrilled he or she has a brand new iPhone? Silly people. Falling for it.

16. K.Audrey macrumors newbie

What?!? Not Bulletproof?

Well, that's it. I'm returning mine.

17. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I have been saying this all along. I was doing this since the iPhone 5.. Glass in.. Also less chance to damage the glass if something slams into your leg.

18. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The glass is too thin to offer much resistance. The most resistance is offered by the "curled" edges of the phone and the gut inside. The glass is nothing if sat on by a 300lb butt!

19. Korican100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Korican100

^Does the glass provide more reinforcement, or does the aluminum side. That is the question.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The aluminum back with the "curled" sides would offer the most structural intergrity. The glass would offer little as it is so thin.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Neither way dictates that. You shouldn't stick a phablet in your pocket, regardless of how it's facing.

22. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have fired a 50 cal and it is something you never forget. Got to fire off three rounds and just the dirt and sand that flew into the air in of the rifle what scary! It is a MONSTER!

23. Korican100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Korican100

That's what I am alluding to. If this were true, then that would indicate its not the bending from the rear we should worry about, its any damage that would come from bending from glass facing inwards we should worry about.

This would render the bend test by consumer reports useless. Because the real damage would come from bending the glass side instead.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The case would offer resistance no matter which direction it was bend. One direction could be better than the other just due to the shape of the part.

The glass is insignificant when considering it's resistance to bending in the situation!

25. Korican100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Korican100

True, the case would offer resistance no matter the direction that would be bent. But which direction would offer less/more support is key in knowing what would be the best way to handle the device.

As aforementioned, we are no longer looking to see what is the minimal lbs of force needed to bend the device, we are looking to see what is the minimal lbs of force needed to do any damage related to the weaker structural integrity to the device altogether. That would include the screen separating, the glass cracking/shattering etc.

Then it no longer becomes a story of how the weak structure would allow the phone to bend, but how the weak structure would allow the phone to take any damage. That's why its necessary to perform the bend test on both sides of the device!