one build for multiple macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chibianh, Oct 17, 2007.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I have a standard OS X build I use for all our Intel Macs. They worked beautifully until recently with the 2.2 and 2.4 MacBook Pros. They would KP at startup with my build, even after updating the build to 10.4.10. So what I did was put an older version of the build on one of the 2.4 MBPs, boot off its installer dvd, and installed OSX using the "Upgrade" option. This booted up just fine, so I took an image of it thinking it would work on older Intel machines. I was wrong. Other Intel Macs will now hang on startup with this build, or have graphics issues.

Anyone else have success having 1 OS X build for all Intel Macs? I'd hate to have 2 separate images. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. projectle macrumors 6502

New releases generally need updated kernels in order to work properly.

These kernels are only included in the update releases...

In that case, you need to make sure that the builds that you push out for your computers have a minimum patch level that was shipped on your newest hardware.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish, but you should keep each of your machines updated via Software Update. It automatically updates each individual computer with the software that it needs.

IIRC, this can also be done via MacOS X Server if you want to reduce your use of the Internet for this purpose. Check with Apple on this service.