One Call Straight to Voicemail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hexonxonx, Mar 7, 2011.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I got a voicemail message left on my phone # that I have had for well over two years for someone else. It was threatening message saying something about a civil lawsuit. Again the message was to someone else but I am wondering how can they go straight to voicemail and it does not show up in recent calls? I've had this happen a few times. I use iBlacklist so only my contacts can call me and anyone else gets a busy signal.

2. Annerz macrumors regular

The only reasons I could think it would go to voicemail would be if you had no service or your phone was off?

3. james92se macrumors 6502a

I you've (or your phone number - maybe the previous owner of your number) left that person a voicemail, they have the option to leave you a voicemail directly back if they listen through all the options on the voicemail. That way it won't ring on your phone or show in recent calls, you'll just have a voicemail show up.

So, if somebody saves a voicemail indefinitely I believe they'll always have this option.

Not sure if this is still the case, but I know 4-5 years ago I used to do this buddies to mess with them (leaving them vmails that wouldn't show up in their recent calls/missed calls). If this is still a common voicemail feature, that could explain it

*edit* Also, this will happen if you're on EDGE data and you're browsing the internet. Calls will go straight to voicemail. It may also happen on the Verizon iPhone when surfing (no voice and data at the same time) but I'm not certain.

4. kleinias macrumors regular

The last time I checked (maybe a year or two ago), most phones have a number associated with them (different than their mobile #) that will allow someone that knows it to call them and leave them a vm directly without ringing your phone or it showing up in the call logs (obviously it will show up as a vm message).

There are also services out there that will allow their users to bypass calling you and will allow a direct vm message without ringing your phone. I want to stress that none of this is any kind of secret and often pretty easy to find.

5. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

if the phone is turned off or there is no service, the call will go straight to voice mail and it won't show up on recent calls. I have had this happen a number of times in the past.

6. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking happened. After I started this thread, I called the number to see what it was and it was a collection agency. I believe the other time that a call went straight to voice mail was a similar situation.

I may call them in the morning and tell them they have the wrong person.

7. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

This happens when on 1xRTT (the CDMA equivalent of EDGE), but EVDO allows the call to interrupt the data session. The data session resumes automatically once the call is dealt with.

8. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Do. You don't want a collection agency calling your number thinking you owe them money - there are a number of people who owed nothing to anyone and they got screwed by such collection calls when trying to obtain credit elsewhere.