Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Now and then I find myself sharing Internet wirelessly from my Mac, but this involves a lot of clicking to enable, then the same thing in reverse to disable. Is there a solution which would allow for an "on/off switch" sort of thing, perhaps in the menu-bar or the dock?

By Internet sharing I mean:

1) turn wi-fi on
2) turn on "Internet sharing"-"Wi Fi" (Sharing system preference)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You could leave wifi always on, but set wired ethernet to a higher priority so that wifi won't connect when ethernet is plugged in. Then you just turn internet sharing off and on.

Alternatively, Siri can turn wifi off and on, and she can also open Sharing preferences. That's less clicking.

It those actions could be done in terminal you could make an automator action to run the script.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
How do you set priorities for the network? I tried to shift them around but that wasn't possible.
On the other hand I prefer to have Wifi switched off unless I actually need to use it.

I haven't used Siri yet as I haven't really seen any need for it, but that might be worth looking into.

I actually thought about Automator but dismissed it because I'm always having a hard time figuring it out. I'll see if I find some good tutorials on the subject. Isn't there some sort of recording function in it so that I can record what you do, then play it back later?

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks for replying (I'm the OP, and I still haven't found a solution since posting this).
Unfortunately I can't run Monterey on my Mac, but if someone more knowledgeable in Automator/Applescript is reading: would this be possible to do with a small script?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.