- Apr 12, 2001
Over the weekend, a couple of one-click web-based Jailbreak solutions were published for both the iPhone and iPod Touch.
One that received a lot of attention, and provides some answers to common questions is published at http://www.jailbreakme.com/. Before you visit the site with your iPhone or iPod Touch, read on.
The features list is as follows:
The site uses the known TIFF exploit which allows individuals to execute arbitrary code on the iPhone or iPod Touch by simply loading a TIFF image with Safari. Normally this is considered a "bad thing" in that virues, or other comprimising code can be deployed to unsuspecting users.1. Jailbreaks iPhone/iPod Touch on 1.1.1
2. Patches Springboard to load third party apps
3. Activates non-AT&T iPhones automatically, while leaving already activated phones alone
4. Fixes YouTube on non-AT&T iPhones automatically, while leaving already activated phones alone
5. Installs Installer.app v3.0b5 on the iPhone/iPod Touch
6. Fixes Apple's TIFF bug, making your device MORE secure than it was without AppSnapp!
In this case, the exploit offers users a simple way to jailbreak and install 3rd party apps. It even claims to fix the TIFF exploit it used to hack your iPhone/iPod.
Obviously we need to be cautious about these exploits as it's possible that someone with more sinister motives could deploy a similar site to unsuspecting users. This particular url appears to have been tested by a number of sites, but proceed with caution.