One copy of Leopard, 1 desk mac, 1 laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakiporter, Aug 31, 2008.

1. jakiporter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone
    I have Leopard (10.5.1) installed on my Macbook. I have also got a mini mac running 10.4.11 (which it shipped with). Is it possible/legal to install the same copy of Leopard on both?
    It would make life soooo much easier - but not sure its worth £85 to do it.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No it's not Legal. And if the Leopard copy you have is the one that shipped with your Macbook then it's not possible either.

3. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

If it is a retail version (so you bought it at an Apple store), it is possible to install it on more then one machine, as Apple does not perform any "authorization". However, as noted, it is not legal as Apple authorizes it to be installed on only one machine. If you have more then one Mac you wish to install Leopard on, you should purchase the "family pack" which allows you to install it on up to five Macs you own.

If this is a restore CD that came with your MacBook, it will not install on any other Mac model. Restore CD OS' are specific to the model of Mac they shipped with.

4. jakiporter thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone. Unfortunately I bought the minimac just after bought the copy of leopard for the laptop. I will know for next time!!