One core always running at 100%

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emoore, May 14, 2008.

1. emoore macrumors regular

I have a question about my Macbook. I have a 2.16 GHz Dual Core Processor. Everything was going fine but i noticed yesterday that the fan was running very fast. I checked the temperature of the CPU and it is around 70C. Also the iStat widget says the User is using a little over 50% of the CPU which would mean one core is always being "used". But when I check the activity monitor there are no programs that are using the CPU. The bottom chart of CPU usage says one core is being used 100% but I cannot find what program is using all that CPU. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Forgive me for this but I have to ask, did you reboot? And went you looked at the activity monitor, did you select to see "all processes"? (may find your culprit that way)

3. emoore thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I did reboot and I shut off the computer and removed the battery. Still did not help. I will check the all processes but I thought I already checked that. Thanks.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Someone else may have some insight into this dodgy core of yours but one thing that popped into mind was resetting your SMC. May be worth a shot.

5. emoore thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help iBlue. I have tried resetting the SMC but that did not help. I think I might have to make an appointment with the Apple Genius.