One day in Vancouver, what to see?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jun 22, 2016.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

We are currently in Seattle and will be driving up to Vancouver for a day trip. So far, I think the aquarium and Granville Market are on the itinerary, but those won't fill a full day. Any other must see attractions, places to eat, etc? I'm currently nursing a knee injury so things like hiking are out (but some walking is okay). Thanks!

2. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Hmmm, no hiking. Well do try to visit Chinatown. I'm from Vancouver but left years ago. Pretty sure there are tours of Stanley Park. A trip up the Harbourview tower might be nice, as is Gastown (visit the aboriginal galleries/giftshops). Nice restaurants on Robson Street (and Chinatown too of course). Look into a boat tour - even taking the Seabus across the Harbour to the North Shore is pretty cool. The Anthropology museum at the University of British Columbia is a must! If you like the beach, English Bay or the Spanish Banks are great. There is Maritime Museum with the boat (St. Roch) that completed the Northwest Passage (in reverse) next to Planetarium, both in a nice park if that doesn't tickle your fancy.

Look at this site for more info: http://www.tourismvancouver.com/

Yea I think I gave you too much info for a daytrip, sorry.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Awesome, thanks for the info, will be sure to check those out

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I can't remember how far it is to Grouse Mountain from the Harbour or Chinatown (I was last in that Vancouver in 1998), but it was absolutely beautiful there. Loved Port Moody, Burnaby, and Port Coquitlam, and remember seeing some stunning totem poles up by Simon Fraser University (it's on a nice hill overlooking the city).

However I have to say that even though I've spent my fair share of time in cities by the ocean (California, Sydney, Auckland, Melbourne, Gold Coast), it was freakin' weird looking out towards the Harbour and the Pacific and seeing Chevron gas stations in the water. It made sense because of the ferries to Vancouver Island and going up the strait, but was still weird!

Those may be too far out for a day trip, but I definitely do recommend Stanley Park and the harbour. IF you also have enough time, a trip up Howe Sound would be nice. you'd see shades of green you'd never see in the midwest.

BL.