One dead key on ten-keyed wired keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by paolo-, Sep 7, 2014.

1. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I have a weird issue, my 'r' key just stopped functioning. It's not stick or squeaky, it feels like every other key on the keyboard - it just doesn't register.

I tried following this http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1381. Nothing is special about my settings. The key doesn't register in keyboard viewer.

I poped the cap of the r key and the t key next to it and they both look identical. When pressing the rubber cap, the t responds but the r remains dud.

Any suggestion?

From what I'm reading it's next to impossible to open up the keyboard without killing it and the membrane seems to be fused so you can't do anything once in...

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

This is a common problem (or should i say flaw) with these keyboards. I've had baaaaaaad experience with apple keyboards.

My first keyboard to go was an apple usb keyboard with number pad. more and more keys stopped working, then the whole thing stopped working, then it worked again with other keys not working bla bla bla
    it went berserk

My second keyboard to go was my internal keyboard of my MBP. too expensive to replace so i just got an apple wireless keyboard for $70. after a month it was dirty so i cleaned it with A VERY LITTLE BIT OF WATER and that killed it
    I left it for a long time to dry out and most of the keyboard functioned again, just the right arrow key flickered. It flickered and flickered and would not stop flickering. I'd rather have no right arrow key than a flickering one, so I tried to destroy it. I attempted at "keyboard surgery" but that didn't work out. The whole thing went berserk. :'(

After that I got a logitech k360 and have never had any problems since. I still use it to this day.

TL;DR:
    NEVER BUY AN APPLE KEYBOARD. They are so damn fragile to water. :(

If you do have a keyboard i suggest putting a plastic cover on it, or else tdry your hands thoroughly before use and avoid dripping water on it.

All it takes is ONE TINY DROP to destroy it!

I do not know a way to fix this. I do not think it is possible to fix, I think you just have to replace the keyboard. In my MBP replacing the keyboard involves replacing the entire unibody case. :confused:
    But if there is a way to fix it I would really like to know!

3. Mikael H macrumors 6502

Lolwut!? :eek:

The correct reply would be: Never wash electronics that aren't expressly designed to be water resistant with water. That said, my Wireless Keyboard has survived two coffee spills, so it's not that sensitive.

How you do it: Buy a microfiber cloth, gently dampen it, and wring it out properly. Then disconnect your keyboard and/or remove its batteries, and clean your keyboard. It'll look like new and you won't risk damaging anything.