One dead pixel on my late 08 MacBook Pro, just put up with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frank Butcher, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Frank Butcher macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have had my late 08 aluminum MacBook Pro now for around 3 months and absolutely love it but I have one small problem.

I have one dead pixel on the mid bottom left of my LCD. Now I doubt many people would notice it but because I spotted it almost immediately and I am a bit of a perfectionist - at the back of my mind, I always know its there and it bugs me slightly.

On one hand I think I should just get over it, its barely noticeable and I have always doubted that Apple would do anything about it anyway. On the other hand I think that I paid £1400 for this laptop, a premium price so I should accept nothing less than perfection.

Would Apple do anything about it? Because I bought the laptop online I presume I can't take this up with my local Apple store?

Sorry if this is a repost, I had a quick search but could not find anything that answered the question. Thanks.

2. svndmvn Guest

It would bug me too, Apple's just like most other companies' policy is less than 5 dead pixels=you keep it. I believe Rock offers some sort of warranty, that you pay, in order to have a perfect laptop screen.
    Anyway, look for other defects or send it back, if you're within the 14-day period, I think they're supposed to give you back the credit. And you can buy another one later on. I could be wrong though.

3. Frank Butcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Its around 3 months old so can't take it back and there is nothing wrong with it other than than the one dead pixel!

Looks like I will just have to put up with it then unless anyone else can input anything. :(

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Is it definitely dead (black), or is it stuck (read, green or blue)?

If it's the 2nd there's a chance it can work itself out over time, my friend had a stuck pixel on his iMac, that resolved itself over time, there's alot of colour jitter applications out that can coax the pixel into shifting again.

5. svndmvn Guest

I guess it doesn't bug you that much then, if you stood up with it for three months. If it's worth it for you, sell it and buy another one, or just wait for the speed bump.

6. Frank Butcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Its black, its most certainly dead. I have tried a few methods to wake it up but nothing.

It doesn't bug me that much, but at the back of my mind I know its there. I can live with it. Yes I have thought of selling as well, Macs hold their value extremely well. I may hold onto this one then sell it for the next revision. Just wanted to double check there was nothing I could do about this one.

Thanks for the replies.

7. Yanwoo macrumors regular

Although, of course, it's resale value is somewhat reduced because of that dead pixel. One of the advantages of buying a used LCD is getting one without a dead pixel.

8. maestrocasa macrumors regular

It would drive me nuts!

I had multiple pixel failures within 1 year of purchase on my late 07 MBP. Sent it in, and apple replaced the screen. But then in less than 2 weeks, the new screen had a complete backlight failure. had to send it back. new screen works great, but when they installed it, a small piece of some black debris, less that 1 mm in size was left in the screen, up by the menu bar. It gives me a shiver every time I see it. (but I'm a little OCD, so.... )

so what I would do is: wait until the last month of your warranty. Maybe by then, you'll have more pixels fail and they'll replace screen w/o complaint. If you don't have more than the 1 dead pixel after 11 months, take it in anyway and see what they'll do. Tell them you're a graphic artist and MUST have a perfect screen :)

good luck!

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I sent mine back cause of dead pixels, got my new replacement last week, it's fine, has a tiny bit f fluff behind the glass but I can live with that, dead pixels I can't. It has a tiny chip in the body under an F key and a littlt scuff mark on one of the corners, but again I can live with those.
    Your choice, judging by Apples rather lack lustre quality control you may end up with something worst.

10. RKpro macrumors 6502

I've got one dead pixel as well, doesn't bother me that much...