One dead pixel on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cstm, Jul 31, 2012.

1. cstm macrumors regular

So just got my rMBP, and there's one dead pixel under the word "help". Should I return this? Will I be able to get a perfect one or just have to settle for this? Anyone know what is apple's policy on these?

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Since you're in the 14 days window, apple will replace your units without asking questions. It's a matter of luck. It's up to you to decide, no one guarantees you will receive a perfect unit this time.

3. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

I am waiting for a replacement on mine which now has 1 dead pixel left (3 originally but 2 where just stuck) so definitely go for it with the amount these laptops cost the screen and everything else should be perfect.

4. cstm, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

cstm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

how can I tell if it's dead or just stuck? it's gray/black so I suppose it's dead. I just couldn't be bothered with the whole return hassle.

what should I say so I can keep this one till I wait for the replacement or do they automatically offer it?

Also the screen looks "dirty" on white backgrounds, like what touching a white wall with slightly dirty hands would look like. Is this normal?

5. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

If it's black then 99% it will be a stuck pixel, give this website a go below and set it to full screen, leave your mac for a good 20 mins (make sure that the display does not sleep, screensavers off etc) and then see if it's fixed.

http://www.flexcode.org/lcd2.html

Apple will let you keep the existing one until a replacement has arrived as you can just choose the date to return your old one for example apple said mine would be here by the 10th (replacement) so that's the date I chose for it to go back even though now the new one is arriving on the 3rd now.

6. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

If its just a black dot, and doesnt change colour at different angles etc, then its dead.

If its any other colour or flashes etc, then its stuck, and can usually be fixed quite easily.

My first rMBP had a single dead pixel as well, so I returned it. My new one doesnt close properly on one side and the bottom flexes and creaks a lot, so it is also going back.

All aboard the Apple merry-go-round!

7. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

It's a pain, but make up your mind quick as to whether you want to return it. Apple counts a certain number of dead/stuck pixels as acceptable/not-meriting-AppleCare/sorry/etc.

For what it's worth, as someone whose old MBP had a bunch of stuck pixels by the end (6 years), it'll drive you crazy for the first week or two, annoy you after that for a month, and then you'll forget it's there shortly after.

8. cstm thread starter macrumors regular

the thing is, it doesn't even annoy me really. I found a second one now. But of course I would return it if 50%+ of the rMBP owners are getting dead pixel free machines. then again there's also the resale value.

9. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Eh, I say return it. I know that sucks, given how long you probably had to wait for it (maybe send tcook@apple.com a very kind email and see if whomever reads it could expedite the shipping process?)

However, two dead pixels upon arrival strikes me as a litttttttle bit of a red flag. And yup, resale value also. Dead pixels mean almost nothing in terms of usage, but'll knock it down (IMO) at least $100.

10. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Tbh it didnt annoy me either after a few days, but I'd already requested a replacement.

11. MattAtlanta macrumors member

make haste man... return the machine!!!

for the price you've paid, the least you can get is a fully pixelated screen, sheesh.

12. macrominnie macrumors member

+1 for exchange it. IME while a user gets used to the flaw, the longer you keep the machine, the greater the background resentment.

It's a premium price-those who notice the difference should get a premium product.

13. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I had several appear on mine this week. Also with the first one there were more after week 1 than when I originally bought it. Seems like these displays are sensitive...