one drive not showing up?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by j2048b, Jul 16, 2009.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I have a wd 400 gig drive that use to have windos 7 on it in my mac pro 3,1 late 2008 model

i deleted and reformatted the drive, not it wont show up at all,

what can i do to have it show back up?

disk utility shows nothing and i have taken it out numerous times and restarted and everything?

stummped!!

thanks for any help!

j

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

You want to partition it using the GUID option.

3. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

HAHA, that was going to be my next question but first this is what i need to know:

i asked how to get the drive to EVEN show up, not how to partition it!!

but now that you bring it up, in order to install windows via bootcamp do i use guid or master boot for an NT drive?

thanks

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If you do not see it under disk utility your only other choice is to check if the windows install disk sees it. Then format it with NTFS or FAT32. Afterwards disk utility may see it. But perhaps you have a cable fault?

GUID or MBR partition table both would work for windows. If you want the chance to use it for OS X at a later time take GUID. It also helps with Firmware upgrades if Apple ever does one. GUID puts in an invisible 200 MB EFI partition that comes in handy at times.

5. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will try to install windows first, but it showed up the other day with no problems but when i tried to format it, it gave me trouble and would not fully format?

hopefully windows will see the drive? not sure,

what if windows does not see it? then just try to format it in my pc and then move to the mac and reformat under GUID?

thanks!

6. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually did a quick format on my dell pc and then plugged it back into my mac!! it worked great due to the program i have for macs to read and write to ntfs drives, now onto the 64 bit windows 7 rc!!