One Drop's CareKit App Showing 'Substantial Improvement' in Glycemic Control for Diabetic Users

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, the CareKit-supported One Drop Blood Glucose Monitor launched on Apple.com, allowing users to get pain-free results in just seconds, with data easily displayed on the compatible iOS app. After a few months on the market, One Drop has today released new findings and is reporting that its kit has catalyzed "a substantial improvement in glycemic control." In total, the study accounts for 3,500,000 app log-ins and over 200,000,000 primary health data points entered by its users over a period lasting between 2 months to 1 year.

The data comes from One Drop mobile app users on both iOS and Android who have either type 1 or type 2 diabetes, and who have consistently followed the company's app guidelines by entering two glycated hemoglobin (A1C) values at least sixty days (but not more than one year) apart. In June 2016, prior to One Drop's wide release, initial analysis showed a 0.7 percentage point reduction in A1C for One Drop app users, going down from 7.8 percent to 7.1 percent.

Now, One Drop has repeated its analysis "on a much larger sample" of users, and discovered a 1.0 percent point reduction in A1C among app users, decreasing from 8.2 percent to 7.2 percent. Diabetics are encouraged to take A1C tests at least twice a year, in order to measure their average blood glucose level during the previous 3 month period. The American Diabetes Association encourages those with diabetes to aim for an A1C test result of less than 7 percent; people without diabetes typically range between 4 and 6 percent, so the lower the result the better.

As One Drop pointed out, the more that its users visited the app and tracked their blood glucose and food intake, the more their A1C improved. At the same time, inflated results from the glut of new users post-launch also factor into the .30 percent increase between the findings last June and this month. The company mentioned that, although the findings might appear small, "this is just the tip of the iceberg" in terms of testing and improvements coming to One Drop.
"The improvement in A1c we've seen among our users is often achieved with drugs, but rarely, if ever, seen with self-care interventions," said Jeff Dachis, Founder and CEO of One Drop. "With One Drop, we are delivering a well-designed, evidence-based diabetes solution that provides cost-effective, comprehensive care to anyone, anywhere in the United States and, soon, anywhere in the world.
The company's app also has an on-demand coaching service called "One Drop Experts" -- available in the Premium plan -- which gives users 24/7 in-app diabetes support from Certified Diabetes Educators, and even a digital therapeutics program to keep every aspect of their program on track. One Drop has additionally tracked activity from this specific section of the app as well, and discovered the following took place over a four week period.

Participants using the One Drop app and One Drop Experts:

[*]reduced average blood glucose by 27 mg/dL;

[*]reduced average blood glucose from 185 mg/dL (A1c 8.1%) to 158 (A1c 7.1%);

[*]reduced average percentage of high blood glucose readings from 19% to 4%;

[*]nearly doubled the percentage of in-range blood glucose readings;

[*]consistently tracked food and blood glucose over time.
For those interested, the One Drop Blood Glucose Monitoring Kit sells for $99.95 on Apple.com, while the One Drop for Diabetes Management app is free to download on the iOS App Store, and includes Apple Watch support [Direct Link]. One Drop's advantages include a lancing device that has custom depth settings to ensure that each user can discover the right amount of pressure and get "a perfect drop every time." The Premium subscription plan ensures users never run out of test strips, in addition to access to One Drop Experts.

In 2016 One Drop was one of four apps that launched with Apple's CareKit platform, which allows app developers to design and launch integrated software to facilitate better communication and information gathering among doctors and their patients. The other three apps were fertility tracker Glow Nurture [Direct Link], maternity app Glow Baby [Direct Link], and depression medication tracker Start [Direct Link].

For One Drop, Founder and CEO Jeff Dachis said that the company intends to continue its expansion and encourage the spread of diabetic knowledge in the process: "As we expand, we will maintain our focus, empowering everyone with diabetes today to make better choices and lead fuller lives."

Article Link: One Drop's CareKit App Showing 'Substantial Improvement' in Glycemic Control for Diabetic Users

Reactions: Ntombi

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
This is just a way to track blood glucose, and it could easily be done with pencil and paper for less.

However, if having the app encourages use, that may well be worth the extra money. Knowing and understanding how one's body reacts to food is a powerful tool in diabetes. I'm not at all surprised by the results for consistent users of the app.

Reactions: Ntombi and thasan

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
I used iHealth's meter and app for some time until I started seeing regular inaccuracy in my results. I switched to a Bayer Contour Next meter and strips and continued to use iHealth's app to manually enter and track my results. So you can use many free apps for tracking irrespective of the meter and strips you use.

What I learned is that type 2 diabetes is due to insulin resistance. The way to become insulin sensitive aka a non diabetic (for type 2 only) is to reduce insulin as much as possible for long periods of time. This means eating a ketogenic diet and it means fasting / intermittent fasting. Treating a type 2 diabetic with insulin is like treating an alcoholic with alcohol. Sugar / Glucose / carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient. Essential nutrients are nutrients that we have to consume because our body cannot manufacture them. The liver can convert protein and fats into glucose that certain parts of our body need.

I have since reversed / eliminated my diabetes and no longer take any medications. Those that are interested in the real truth about type 2 diabetes should read Dr Fung's blog at intensivedietarymanagement.com

kildjean

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Not buying this. Show me an article in the New England journal of medicine and I will think about it.
I actually ordered this yesterday. I have a real problem with pinching myself and tracking... being able to have this record itself automatically is huge for me. I also thought the price was right. I spend more than $100 in test strips and this covers them unlimitedly. Or so they say.

I was skeptical at first, but I found some good reviews online that convinced me. I also spoke to my doctor about it... Her meter she was offering me was compatible with iPhone 3GS... sigh.
[doublepost=1490976090][/doublepost]
I used iHealth's meter and app for some time until I started seeing regular inaccuracy in my results. I switched to a Bayer Contour Next meter and strips and continued to use iHealth's app to manually enter and track my results. So you can use many free apps for tracking irrespective of the meter and strips you use.

What I learned is that type 2 diabetes is due to insulin resistance. The way to become insulin sensitive aka a non diabetic (for type 2 only) is to reduce insulin as much as possible for long periods of time. This means eating a ketogenic diet and it means fasting / intermittent fasting. Treating a type 2 diabetic with insulin is like treating an alcoholic with alcohol. Sugar / Glucose / carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient. Essential nutrients are nutrients that we have to consume because our body cannot manufacture them. The liver can convert protein and fats into glucose that certain parts of our body need.

I have since reversed / eliminated my diabetes and no longer take any medications. Those that are interested in the real truth about type 2 diabetes should read Dr Fung's blog at intensivedietarymanagement.com
This is very true. I have Diabetes type 2 as well. My previous endocrinologist was boosting me with insulin and that didn't work. I took a year off any medicines, and recently started seeing a new Endo, and he switched my medications and I am doing really well again. I am taking now Victoza which helps me control my appetite, which helps a lot as I was hungry all the time and another pill called Invokamet, which helps release sugars via the urine.

It has been two months and I feel my diabetes is back in control, my glucose has been the lowest of all times and im feeling much better now.

I am very lazy when it comes to tracking my own glucose and I have tried everything to keep it up, and what I really liked about this kit was the meter records everything on the phone automatically and I don't have to follow up with that. I know its childish and stupid, but maybe this time around i will be able to track myself better.

Reactions: smirking

rogerram

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Deepings, UK
I use an Abbott Freestyle Libre that uses a sensor that lasts 10 days to be read by a meter or an Android phone app. Not an iPhone unfortunately. That would indicate hypoglycaemia tho' it measures interstitial blood so is 15min behind actual blood sugars. OR if you have the cash you can use Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitoring that does work with an iPhone & will soon work with an Apple Watch

No interest in the One-Drop System, Abbott & Dexcom show much better results & it's great not having finger-prick blood every time.

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Er, a blog? Does he have published, peer reviewed papers and data? Surprised I haven't heard about this yet.
Yes, a blog. Its well worth reading. All of his assertions are based on published, peer reviews papers and studies and are cited often in his posts with charts and graphs from the cited work. The bottom line is that Dr. Fung's assertions and proof positive work doesn't fit the narrative we are fed practically from every source regarding obesity and T2D. Dr. Fung is a Nephrologist in the field trying to make a difference and is challenging all the conventional wisdom, or purposefully lack thereof.

Reactions: Wondercow

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
The bottom line is that Dr. Fung's assertions and proof positive work doesn't fit the narrative we are fed practically from every source regarding obesity and T2D. Dr. Fung is a Nephrologist in the field trying to make a difference and is challenging all the conventional wisdom, or purposefully lack thereof.
Maybe. He's also built up quite a business and marketing machine. When one expert in a field stands alone and claims that the generally-accepted view is wrong, it is appropriate to view him with a critical eye.

drosborn

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2017
It’s important to question the scientific rigor and integrity of any health solution. We’re glad people are doing that, and we love being a part of the conversation. As a former NIH-funded scientist w/over 90 peer-reviewed research articles, One Drop has internal scientific rigor, but also a third party evaluating the product as an objective outsider. All scientific findings described above were peer-reviewed by researchers and physicians with expertise in diabetes. There are strengths and limitations, as is the case w/all science, including what’s published in high impact medical journals. What gets us closer to ‘reality’ is an accumulation of peer-reviewed evidence. You’ll see more of that in the coming months. In the meantime, I’d be happy to answer any scientific questions that come up. You can find me at: chandra@onedrop.today

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I use a different product but it also records my levels into iPhone via Bluetooth and allows the Health app to store them. Between that and tracking my food intake I have a lot of data for myself and my DR. This type of data is great for people who want to be proactive with their health and makes it easy to see how changes in diet can affect my health in a positive direction.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Er, a blog? Does he have published, peer reviewed papers and data? Surprised I haven't heard about this yet.
Here's a book that's just a compendium of research on ketogenic diets:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N0KGKNI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I encourage you to read more about it. There is a LOT of research published into peer reviewed journals over the last 100 years on the ketogenic diet.

You can also check out the research of Dominic D'Agostino. He works with the U.S. military because one of the benefits of ketosis is a resistance to seizures. (A long time ago, the ketogenic diet was used to treat seizures at the Mayo Clinic.)

Here's a podcast to get started (with an unfortunately overly sensational title): http://tim.blog/2015/11/03/dominic-dagostino/

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Tracking blood glucose is fine, and people with diabetic family histories or symptoms should use the wonderful tech that's available today. On the not so good side of the ledger are the doctors and pharma shills who claim that diabetes is a one-way street, once it's been diagnosed there is no way back. Then they begin the regime of drugs and protocols to "manage" the disease as it becomes inevitably worse. The truth is doctors could spare most pre-diabetics of this nonsense by instead prescribing lifestyle changes -- lose weight, switch to a diet with drastically fewer carbs, and get some exercise. Instead they write a script for Metformin and smugly assume they have another recruit for the growing army.

Reactions: B.A.T

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
This is just a way to track blood glucose, and it could easily be done with pencil and paper for less.

However, if having the app encourages use, that may well be worth the extra money. Knowing and understanding how one's body reacts to food is a powerful tool in diabetes. I'm not at all surprised by the results for consistent users of the app.

As a longtime diabetic who has to travel, and go into customer plants and set up production lines, having an easy way to test that also records and charts would be a lot easier at least for me. I usually take my readings when (ok, close) to when I am supposed to but actually writing it into my log frequently doesn't happen, especially on the road and when under pressure to get the line up and running. Any time a customer sees you 'standing around and goofing off' can get you into trouble, even just 2-3 minutes.

I do agree that I would be more interested in this if I saw a review of it in a reputable medical journal.
[doublepost=1491058422][/doublepost]
Tracking blood glucose is fine, and people with diabetic family histories or symptoms should use the wonderful tech that's available today. On the not so good side of the ledger are the doctors and pharma shills who claim that diabetes is a one-way street, once it's been diagnosed there is no way back. Then they begin the regime of drugs and protocols to "manage" the disease as it becomes inevitably worse. The truth is doctors could spare most pre-diabetics of this nonsense by instead prescribing lifestyle changes -- lose weight, switch to a diet with drastically fewer carbs, and get some exercise. Instead they write a script for Metformin and smugly assume they have another recruit for the growing army.
I was a 6 foot tall 170 lb 22 year old when I was diagnosed. How much weight should I have lost? My niece was a 105 lb 26 year old with a gym membership that she used. How much weight loss or exercise increase should she have done?

Last edited:

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Don't put me in that Camp...I am just telling you my experiences.....my mother and three sisters and father had Diabetes and I inherited it.....All of Medical is a business...never forget that.

Reactions: michaelsviews

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Seeing as the side effects of metformin are improved memory and anti-ageing, it's better than assuming it is possible to lose weight without going low on glucose.
However, if you are in the belief that you are smarter than a medical doctor, then perhaps you should study medicine rather than troll us with your personal viewpoint on healthcare.

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Ok, I would like to to first say as I did not say it before that as it relates to this product and many others like them that have apps that provide tracking etc. They are great. They are much better than manual logging and they help you see how what you do in your lifestyle affects your blood sugar levels. For me the issue is accuracy from one test to the next and I have seen issues and changed products as a result. I am sure this product is a fine addition to the market and knowledge is power so ... motherhood an apple pie.

With all sincerity from someone who has struggled with my weight and eventually was diagnosed with T2D. As someone who has been as hard on myself my whole life as anyone could or would be to me for my failures regarding my weight and eventual T2D, I shared the information about Dr. Fung in an effort to help with all sincerity and compassion. Not with any judgement. My failures from the past became a medical necessity with T2D not to fail. I refused to fail. I searched any and all information I could to understand why I was failing and was willing to try practically any method to find success. This is not a judgement on anyone else's motivation or lack thereof etc. Its just what I did.

I wish I could share with everyone I see everyday, out of the same compassion, what I learned. Thats a lot harder than it seems for the very reason you stated in that how it comes across is smug and judgmental. I was swimming 3 to 4 days a week for an hour and a half each time .... killing it etc. In the end it was not the complete answer, and to large extent not necessary as it relates to calorie restriction.

I do not want to restate all of what is posted at Dr. Fung's blog here. Its not the place. But, I will post the high points that were critical for me. His blog is free. He has books for sale, but you don't need to buy them. You don't need to go to his clinic either. Everything you need to know can be read for free on his blog. Here are key points I learned

1) Understanding the human body's two gas tanks for energy storage and the order in which they will be emptied. - You cannot loose body fat until the glucose gas tank is empty aka ketosis

2) Why Calorie Restriction as a Primary method for weight reduction fails after a period of time if you need to loose more than a small amount of weight OR why weight loss from calorie restriction eventually plateaus and weight is eventually regained for most people

3) Why weight management is a hormonal problem first and a dietary problem second. THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT WE ARE ALL TOLD EVERY DAY REGARDING CALORIES IN = CALORIES OUT - Whatever the reason, too much insulin in your blood to control blood sugar levels causes you to become insulin resistant. The resistance requires your body to need more and more insulin to remove glucose from your blood. There is no smugness or judgment in this next statement. The key to managing weight and reversing T2D is becoming Insulin sensitive again.

4) How to increase insulin sensitivity - ketogenic dieting and fasting. Dr. fung does a great job explaining your body's processes and why these things work. Along the lines of Paleo thinking, its how we are genetically programed that matches the years of history of the human species before we had highly refined carbohydrates and access to fruit all year around.

5) How the body reacts to intermittent and longer fasts as a method of calorie restriction differently than it does when you eat small meals all day with the same reduced calories.

For those that are skeptics, I offer this. If you have another method you have learned and tried that has worked long term, I am all ears. Moving back toward nature and natural means of weight loss and management has worked for me. Furthermore, they are free and do not require me to buy pills, food plans, memberships etc. Perhaps thats why they are not peer reviewed and advertised. There is no money in it.

In my opinion you are not a bad person because you are overweight or have T2D. When I read Dr. Fung's blog and learned what I learned, and put it into practice and had immediate success like I have never had, I was actually both happy as hell and angry at the same time. I feel like we have been lied to our entire lives about how to be healthy regarding weight and what to eat. The information is free. What do you have to loose?

Sugar is like a drug. Its in everything we eat. Its really hard to quit. But once you do, and you go through that change to where you body can burn fat as a primary energy source all the time, its a new world. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mollyc

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Ok, I would like to to first say as I did not say it before that as it relates to this product and many others like them that have apps that provide tracking etc. They are great. They are much better than manual logging and they help you see how what you do in your lifestyle affects your blood sugar levels. For me the issue is accuracy from one test to the next and I have seen issues and changed products as a result. I am sure this product is a fine addition to the market and knowledge is power so ... motherhood an apple pie.

As for the ignorance and smugness inferred by the message. Let me try to strip that away. With all sincerity from someone who has struggled with my weight and eventually was diagnosed with T2D. As someone who has been as hard on myself my whole life as anyone could or would be to me for my failures regarding my weight and eventual T2D, I shared the information about Dr. Fung in an effort to help with all sincerity and compassion. Not with any judgement. My failures from the past became a medical necessity with T2D not to fail. I refused to fail. I searched any and all information I could to understand why I was failing and was willing to try practically any method to find success. This is not a judgement on anyone else's motivation or lack thereof etc. Its just what I did.

I wish I could share with everyone I see everyday, out of the same compassion, what I learned. Thats a lot harder than it seems for the very reason you stated in that how it comes across is smug and judgmental. I was swimming 3 to 4 days a week for an hour and a half each time .... killing it etc. In the end it was not the complete answer, and to large extent not necessary as it relates to calorie restriction.

I do not want to restate all of what is posted at Dr. Fung's blog here. Its not the place. But, I will post the high points that were critical for me. His blog is free. He has books for sale, but you don't need to buy them. You don't need to go to his clinic either. Everything you need to know can be read for free on his blog. Here are key points I learned

1) Understanding the human body's two gas tanks for energy storage and the order in which they will be emptied. - You cannot loose body fat until the glucose gas tank is empty aka ketosis

2) Why Calorie Restriction as a Primary method for weight reduction fails after a period of time if you need to loose more than a small amount of weight OR why weight loss from calorie restriction eventually plateaus and weight is eventually regained for most people

3) Why weight management is a hormonal problem first and a dietary problem second. THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT WE ARE ALL TOLD EVERY DAY REGARDING CALORIES IN = CALORIES OUT - Whatever the reason, too much insulin in your blood to control blood sugar levels causes you to become insulin resistant. The resistance requires your body to need more and more insulin to remove glucose from your blood. There is no smugness or judgment in this next statement. The key to managing weight and reversing T2D is becoming Insulin sensitive again.

4) How to increase insulin sensitivity - ketogenic dieting and fasting. Dr. fung does a great job explaining your body's processes and why these things work. Along the lines of Paleo thinking, its how we are genetically programed that matches the years of history of the human species before we had highly refined carbohydrates and access to fruit all year around.

5) How the body reacts to intermittent and longer fasts as a method of calorie restriction differently than it does when you eat small meals all day with the same reduced calories.

For those that are skeptics, I offer this. If you have another method you have learned and tried that has worked long term, I am all ears. Moving back toward nature and natural means of weight loss and management has worked for me. Furthermore, they are free and do not require me to buy pills, food plans, memberships etc. Perhaps thats why they are not peer reviewed and advertised. There is no money in it.

In my opinion you are not a bad person because you are overweight or have T2D. When I read Dr. Fung's blog and learned what I learned, and put it into practice and had immediate success like I have never had, I was actually both happy as hell and angry at the same time. I feel like we have been lied to our entire lives about how to be healthy regarding weight and what to eat. The information is free. What do you have to loose?

Sugar is like a drug. Its in everything we eat. Its really hard to quit. But once you do, and you go through that change to where you body can burn fat as a primary energy source all the time, its a new world. Good luck!

You are not a medical doctor, and you should not be giving medical advice on the internet to those of us who have a genuine medical problem. If you fail to understand why this is a problem, then you are too foolish to listen to any further.

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
You are not a medical doctor, and you should not be giving medical advice on the internet to those of us who have a genuine medical problem. If you fail to understand why this is a problem, then you are too foolish to listen to any further.
I am not giving medical advise. I am sharing my experience and referring you to a Doctor's site for medical information. If you have blood sugar levels that are high and not under control, that needs to be dealt with first and of course under the care of a medical doctor.

That having been said. The treatment path advocated by 99% of the doctors out there is based on you first making lifestyle changes if you are pre diabetic and then using medication once your pancreas gives up and you sugar numbers soar and you get the official diagnosis. Then its up to you to accept a long term medicated path that agrees with the ADA's own assertions that for most people, T2D is a progressive disease. I chose not to accept that assertion. I am recommending to you and others to read other medical opinions from medical doctors in the field, talk to your doctor and take charge of your health. Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: mollyc and smirking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.