One feature we all missed on the 4G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSX, Apr 23, 2010.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

2. troop231 macrumors 603

I didn't miss it. Here's to hoping it's as bright as my old Sprint Mogul (PPC-6800)

That thing was CRAZY bright. :cool:

3. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Now we wont have to use our screen for light.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

5. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Pretty sure everyone noticed the camera flash from day one... and yes, I'm sure it can be used as a flash light as well.

6. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

7. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

I'm curious, is this an assumption? Or did you hear that there's a feature that allows you to keep the light on? Otherwise, yea it makes sense to assume that you'd be able to use it's camera flash(light), as a flash light.

8. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Im assuming, but im pretty sure there will be an app for that, via app store or cydia.

9. troop231 macrumors 603

More like a hundred unfortunately in the app store :rolleyes:

10. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

So, it's one feature that we'll hope OS 4 and/or an app will utilize on the latest iphone, but nothing we've missed because the hardware's there, we know that much. Title should read, "One feature I hope 4G will do"

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

But I wonder if an app store app would be able to access the flash in a manner other than taking a photo. When I had a jb iphone, I installed an app that let me use the volume buttons as a camera button. It's something physical on the phone. Can other (legal) apps have this access?

12. calvy macrumors 65816

The feature I'm missing is customized alerts for things like emails and text messages. I want to be able to tell my iPhone to **** between the hours of 11pm and 8am.

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm thinking this is something that will only be available via Cydia, unless it's only using a small portion of the LED's capabilities.

I say this because while using the Nexus One, there was a similar app in Android that presented warnings prior to allowing you to use it for the first time. The general idea was that leaving the LED on for too long could cause damage to the phone due to overheating. You know Apple would never allow something like that.

14. JulianL macrumors 65816

I've no idea but I'm afraid that, if you forced me to place a bet, I'd say zero flashlight apps in the app store. For a flashlight app to be possible it needs more than the hardware to be there, the iPhone is a highly locked down device so it also needs Apple to supply an official API for developers to be able to control the light. Apple doesn't have a good history of being generous with these APIs. That's why there are no (legal) apps to toggle WiFi, Bluetooth, or to be able to set a schedule to switch the iPhone into aeroplane mode at night (all apps that I would love to have). The reason they don't exist is because Apple don't expose official APIs to turn on and off the various radios so apps to do these things (that will pass the rules for acceptance into the app store) can't be written.

- Julian

15. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Just Jailbreak and get SBS settings that would solve your problems and more than likely there will be a flashlight app in cydia.

16. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I was going to say that...

I'm sure many developers will hop on board for this.

Assuming Apple lets third party apps have access to the LED.

It would be stupid if it didn't....

17. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

if it wasnt using an ambient light sensor you could just try and hold it on like you can do in a compact.

i would prefer an app for it though

18. JulianL macrumors 65816

I agree, but I'm not impressed with Apple's record on this so far. My view is that Apple have clearly demonstrated the stupidity that you talk about in the past, hence my reference to apps that I personally would find really useful that could exist on non-jailbroken phones if only Apple exposed APIs for control of the radio on/off states.

- Julian

PS: TSX - thanks for the pointer but I just don't want to jailbreak my phone. It's a personal preference and, for many out there, the jailbreakers are doing a great job. Actually, they're probably doing a great service for people like me too since some neat cydia apps possibly encourage Apple to stop and think harder about extra things that they could and should allow to be accessible via official APIs.