One feature you really want

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by !!!, Jun 9, 2016.

1. !!! macrumors 6502

What's the one feature you really want in the next version of Mac operating system (whatever it's called).

For me, it's definitely an improved disk utility. I can barely do anything with the current one.

2. mildocjr macrumors 65816

For me it's a one touch button to remotely start a fire in the computer of Internet Trolls.

3. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Some properly good software optimisations – stability and speed, not loads of new features. Back to basics. Make OS X fly on the simplest hardware.

My first Mac was a Unibody white MacBook, with 2GB RAM, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo and a 5400RPM 250GB HDD. Snow Leopard absolutely sang on that. I'm not even being nostalgic. It was so quick, and it shut down instantly.

Although El Cap is far from a slouch on an SSD, it is a bitterly frustrating experience on a 5400RPM, or even 7200RPM, hard-drive. It seems that if you so much as click something, it'll beachball. Windows 8.1 and 10 run considerably smoother on a spinning platter.

You could argue that Apple shouldn't be writing operating systems for spinning drives and 4GB RAM, as SSDs have been out for so long. However, Apple still sell a lot of computers without SSDs, or even Fusion drives, as standard. People who buy those machines will get a horrible experience, and the wrong impression of Apple quality. And if you can't make an OS fly without an SSD, that's fine – just don't sell or make machines with spinning drives.

… sorry, that ended up a little wordier than I first intended.

5. leman macrumors 604

A semantic file system, with support for distributed storage and local snapshots :)

6. mildocjr macrumors 65816

As an IT guy I beg to differ, I don't want users coming to me with more problems they initiated by getting curious.

7. JesperA macrumors 6502a

I would want better alt-tab behavior on multiple screens and separate areas/desktops, its current behavior is really annoying, example:

If i have Safari opened on my main monitor at "Desktop 1", and then a Atom window on my main monitor at "Desktop 2", i can easily cmd-tab between them, no problem, BUT if i put another Atom window over at my secondary monitor (i use it as a code reference, documentation and other stuff), now, cmd-tab basically gets ruined:

If i am coding in Atom on my main monitor, and then alt-tab to Safari to check my changes, then alt-tab again, i CANT get back to Atom on my main monitor on "Desktop 2", not even with the alternative tab that only tabs between the same app windows, now, instead of alt-tabbing between Safari and Atom on my main monitor, it only accepts alt-tabbing between Safari on my main monitor and Atom on my second monitor that i use as a reference only, if i want to get back to the Atom window on my main monitor i have to press on the Atom icon in the dock.....TWICE before it changes to "Desktop 2" on my main monitor, super annoying and ruins the workflow...OS X should REALLY know which of the Atom windows that had its window focused last time

A fix for this is all i want in a new OS version, maybe expanded thumbnail in mission control would be nice too

8. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab