One Finger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buc, Jul 19, 2010.

1. buc macrumors member

Question out there for IP4 owners (ie not trolls who just look at internet vids):

Can you replicate the reception issue merely with the touch of a finger in the "magic spot"?

I have tried and tried to do this, and not once have i been able to lose bars with one finger. Yes, i can lose up to 2 bars using the death grip...(which doesn't affect me since it's very unnatural for me to hold it that way on a call, have to cock my hand at a 90 degree angle from my forearm).

I'm sure it can be done, i've seen the internet videos demonstrating it. I just wonder how often this happens or how many users it really affects. This seems to be the rallying cry for the anti-iphoners and what makes the iphone so much worse than other cell phones, but i simply can't make it happen and my guess is that the "one finger" problem affects an extremely small portion of the user base.

But what do i know...maybe i'm just lucky.

2. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

maybe you are, was it really necessary to start a thread about this, why not just enjoy your phone brother.

3. lawrence32 macrumors member

If I don't have my case on and my finger even touches that area I will drop the call. The 3g in my area is crap though and I'm lucky to even have one bar of service.

With my case on I have no issues at all, other than the 3g data speed.

4. Phokus macrumors regular

I went into an apple store and did the one finger touch of signal death... lost 4 bars.

Absolutely pathetic by steve jobs trying to spread the blame around other companies when it's just an apple issue.

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

6. buc thread starter macrumors member

I'm at 3 bars in my office right now. Just tried it again and actually got it to go down a single bar.

Having said that, why can i "sometimes" get it to go down a single bar (and not with great reception to start out with), or not at all, yet you walk into an Apple store and get it to lose 4 bars? And, coincidentally, you're obviously not an apple fan.

I'll never understand the troll mentality.

7. djgulia macrumors 6502

Yes I can, but it only goes down to 1 bar...never to no service.

8. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj41qikZbR4

Drops 3 bars with grip, 2 bars with touch, 0 bars with bumper even when covering with 2 hands.

At work I start with 2 bars. Grip or finger will go to No Service. Bumper will hold it at 1 bar.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Simple solution. Put a piece of tape over the bars and enjoy the phone. Maybe the bars are too accurate now after the update? I was always seeing 5 bars. Now I get 3 to 5 all the time. Doesn't matter. Works great. :D

10. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

NO

I tried putting my finger on the "hot spot" and held it there for several minutes, with no drop in bars.
    However, if I rest that corner in my palm, I do lose one (1) bar out of the 5 my phone normally shows.
    In real world use, I don't notice any of that. And I don't have a bumper/case on.

11. trssho macrumors 6502

tRY THE SPEED TEST APP LIKE THE POSTER ABOVE. Very dramatic results.

12. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

The girl who sits next to me at work has the new iPhone.

I managed to replicate the issue by bridging the gap with my penis.

How everyone laughed.

Except for the HR manager to whom I had to explain my actions some time later.

13. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

no you can't

14. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

I laughed, haha! Great post.

15. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Omit the word "reception" and this can be a phenomenal sentence...to which, my answer would be time and time again!

But on a serious note and to have more of a contribution to this thread, I can replicate the reception issue with this method. Although I am not left handed, my right hand still bridges the gap with my fingers on the left side. Annoying issue for me. I find myself at times clawing my phone so delicately holding the top and bottom of steel bezel, because sometimes I feel like the mere presence of my hand in that location affects the signal in some way.

16. barjam macrumors regular

Replicating this with your finger is highly dependent on location. At work and at the local Apple store I can easily replicate this (on all iphone 4 display phones). At home it is quite a bit more difficult. Sometimes I can easily replicate, other times I can not. At home it seems like it won't quite go to zero bars but data throughput is zero. Try it with your finger being slightly moist see if that makes a difference.

I don't really care as I use a case (I would have anyway).

17. Flash69 macrumors member

I don't agree. On my phone I can touch the spot and lose ALL service. The phone can be held or sitting on my desk and if I touch that area it loses all cellular service.

I have also tried to put a piece of tape over the left area and that makes NO difference.

At this point I think I have one of the really bad versions.

I went to my local Apple store and looked at 8 different iphone 4s. Some would lose signal by touching the area and some would not.