One for the mathies

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Excellent video. I'm in my second year of my maths degree and most of the stuff they mentioned I am doing in Analysis :(.

Analysis is so hard.
Algebra is easier
Calculus is the easiest!

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
FearFactor47 said:
Excellent video. I'm in my second year of my maths degree and most of the stuff they mentioned I am doing in Analysis :(.

Analysis is so hard.
Algebra is easier
Calculus is the easiest!
I'm doing maths AS level. Calculus is easy and algebra even easier but i dont know anything about analysis or is that like statistics?? Anyway, i could never do a maths degree; engineering for me.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Analysis is all to do with relations, inequalities, sets and stuff. I don't like it! Algebra and Analysis seem to be overlapping a lot so far in my course (axioms and stuff).

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
FearFactor47 said:
Algebra and Analysis seem to be overlapping a lot so far in my course (axioms and stuff).
Modern Algebra and Analysis are the foundations of mathematics... which is why both of those courses are required in pretty much every undergraduate math program anywhere.

As for the video, they touch on quite a few subjects including Calculus on Manifolds (wedge products and differential forms) and Topology... most likely a lot more than that (I've only watched it once).

You're still at the beginning of mathematics... there is tons of great stuff that awaits you further on! I have a hard time even remembering all the upper division and graduate math classes I've taken. Once you get your requirements out of the way, you can go where your heart takes you (or at least I was allowed to roam freely in the environment I was in).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.