Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Hey everyone. I just wanted to post a quick write-up about my experience in the first week with my MacBook Pro.

I sold my PowerBook G4 1.0GHz about a month ago in order to have a good down payment for my MacBook Pro. I still have my iMac G5, but I must tell you, while I didn't have my laptop, I really missed not having the portability that a laptop provides.

Anyway, I purchased my MBP a week ago Sunday. There is just something about buying new Apple hardware that makes you all warm inside :D I opted to buy the 2.0 GHz, as I was planning on adding more RAM, and I decided that larger HDD would be crucial, as I have a lot of media content. That, and they only had one 1.83 GHz machine, and they hadn't entered it into their system yet, and I was going to have to wait for about 30 minutes, and I was just on my way back in town from Spring Break, and had been driving all week.

So, I must say, I am very impressed with the performance of this computer. I can't even imagine what it is going to be like when everything is running natively and not relying on Roseta. I am very impressed with Roseta. I can't believe how well it handles translating games and keeping their performance pretty high.

The MBP does many things faster than my iMac G5, but I am almost positive this is due to the extra core, and not the fact that the Yonah is actually faster than the G5, because we all know, it is not. Still, it delivers very impressive performance in such a small package.

For all those people complaining about the form factor being the same, well, in essence, yes it is. There are differences, however, and the overall feel of the laptop is more sleek than that of the PowerBook.

I couldn't be happier with my MBP.

I'll have to post some picutes when I get around to it of my setup. Let me know if you guys have any questions about performance. I ran the Photoshop test that is located here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/136593/

It came out faster than my iMac. I'll post more later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.