Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyingscott

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Michigan
Currently I am running a maxed out 24" iMac and I am feeling the wall... I mainly run Aperture/PS/Final Cut Studio.

I am planning on upgrading to a MacPro with a 30" display and wondered this...

Given the apps that I will be running and the display I will be pushing, what is my best option for graphics card(s)? One good one, or multiple average ones?

Can any of the mentioned apps even take advantage of multiple GPU's?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

:apple:

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Nope, the graphics cards can't work together as one, it's just meant for multiple displays.

Is this true? I'm pretty sure two graphics cards can be hooked up to work together. I forget the little terms NVidia and ATI use for them but I'm quite sure two graphics cards can be hooked up to act as one.

However, I believe this is limited to two, so anything beyond that would only be for additional displays.

(I may be wrong, it's been a while since I've looked at graphics cards)

noi375

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Is this true? I'm pretty sure two graphics cards can be hooked up to work together. I forget the little terms NVidia and ATI use for them but I'm quite sure two graphics cards can be hooked up to act as one.

However, I believe this is limited to two, so anything beyond that would only be for additional displays.

nVidia one is called SLI, think ATI one is called Xfire. Anyway, yes, some video cards can hook up together to process stuff, but only selected video cards, and the video cards, along with the motherboard itself needs to support it. Even if you put in SLI compatible video cards in, I don't think you can get SLI to work because you need the drivers for it (although might work in Windows side).

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois

Your right, it just doesn't apply to Macs unfortunately.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
So how does it work when it lists 3 or even 4 x <insert video card here>

I understand the concept of SLI and what not but having 4 graphics cards... so does that mean 2 cards can run up to 1 30" ACD then the other pair the second one?.. Apple makes a big deal about being able to run up to 2 30" ACD's.

Also why in the world are we stuck with the ATI 1900 card as being the better option so to speak.. I only wish ATI/Nvidia would release drivers/firmware for their latest cards to work on a Mac Pro. My 6800 Ultra is burned out from all the time my bro put in WoW and its been at 170F for I dont know how many hours and the card stutters, doesnt matter video or games it just stutters.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
So how does it work when it lists 3 or even 4 x <insert video card here>

I understand the concept of SLI and what not but having 4 graphics cards... so does that mean 2 cards can run up to 1 30" ACD then the other pair the second one?.. Apple makes a big deal about being able to run up to 2 30" ACD's.

Also why in the world are we stuck with the ATI 1900 card as being the better option so to speak.. I only wish ATI/Nvidia would release drivers/firmware for their latest cards to work on a Mac Pro. My 6800 Ultra is burned out from all the time my bro put in WoW and its been at 170F for I dont know how many hours and the card stutters, doesnt matter video or games it just stutters.

The higher end cards can run 2x 30" but they are louder if you sit next to them all day.

I use 2 30" or sometimes 1x 20" and 1x 30" depending on the workstation. For pure editing I actually find it as good to use a 20 and a 30. The 30 for timline etc and the 20 as a dedicated bin. Gives me a nice workflow...

When the new MacPro is released I plan to get several 'quiet' cards rather than one powerful card. I don't game and value a quiet environment more than anything!

Regards,

C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.