One great thing about Canon's VSLRs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mbell75, Dec 8, 2009.

1. mbell75 macrumors 6502

They are MOV files, so no need to wait around for imovie or FCP to trancode it into huge AIC files! :D Skipping that timely step that takes up so much HD space has been pure joy. Anyone else using a T1i, 7D or 5DII to shoot?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

yes they are .mov's but they are h.264 which isn't a codec meant for editing... you should convert them to AIC/ProRes before editing.

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

4. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

well, I love the DOF and the film quality look of them which I have yet to find in any true video camera for the same prices. The video off the Canon video cameras in the $2k range look like video shots off a video camera. Too smooth and fake looking. Granted, I have yet to try the HV40s 24p mode, but I hate tape and not going back to it.

5. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

They do look good, but it´s just too akward ergonomics for film/video work.
    I think the 5D has a too shallow depth of field, I think the 7D would be more to my liking and a bit closer to 35mm film

6. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Hi Yoak,

You are aware that you can stop down you aperture, right? Just because it's capable of shallow DOF doesn't mean you have to shoot wide open all the time. In fact, I find the sharpness even prettier at 2.8 on my 85/1.2. I rarely shoot wide open, unless it's a static/product shot.

I've shut down as low as f/11 and f/16 for some landscape and "deep DOF" shots.

Not sure why this capability would ever be in the "Con" section of this camera. It's certainly capable to opposite direction as well. However, landscape shots are not necessarily the forte of these current DSLR's...as they're lack of resolving capability over 600 lines without aliasing is evident. However, if you stay away from "pattern" shots like roof shingles, telephone poles, etc, you can capture some pretty damn good footage on these guys!

J

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

You can get very good looking video out of 5DMKIIs and 7Ds as long as you know how to work within their limits.

I did some post on a couple of shoots that used the 5DMKII and they really don't handle fast motion within frame and detailed patterns (like on shirts) very well. But I suppose you can't complain too much, considering the overall results you get from a $2k-ish camera body that was designed principally for still photography.

8. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, all true. You have to stay within its limits. I am a professional photographer and have been using these SLRs and Canon lenses for many years. So it might be easier for us guys that use them on a daily basis as far as controlling focus, DOF and all that. For someone like me who shoots models that dont move very fast haha, it works very well and the DOF is awesome. However, you do have to sacrifice some overall image quality as it cannot match the resolution of a true video camera. I will probably be picking up the Vixia HF S10 to shoot other things, that way I have it all covered :)