One hell of an opportunity.. need advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ngoh, Nov 3, 2008.

1. ngoh macrumors newbie

What would you do if you went to your local apple store and find out they still have some old MBP in stock? That just happened some minutes ago and I just felt the urge to come here asap and ask for advice from the new MBP users.

Sadly it's the crappiest of the old ones.. the 15.4", Intel 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, etc. It's way cheaper, though.. $1626.

So, what would you do?

2. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

If you don't care for the looks of the new MBP, and/or can't afford $2000 right now, and don't care for the looks of the old MBP, I would get it. It's a really good deal.

With extra money you're saving, you can get more ram, bigger hdd, and etc.

Just because the new MBP came out doesn't make the old MBP crap. They are still great laptops.

Also, you can get the old MBP and spend the savings on applecare.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i just got that computer for $1350 from apple ... i wouldn't really call that price a hell of an opportunity,, check out the online refurb store.

4. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Yea but that's a refurbished MBP. Not quite the same comparison. Also, looks like Apple store is out of MBP 15" refurbished models.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ok, pay $250 for a white box if you want... also online is that computer *new* for $1599 ....

6. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

If "new" online is $1599, he can always have apple store pricematch it :D

7. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

What if you could get a new 2.4ghz unibody one for $1600? They have a couple people selling them on Ebay for $1800 and $1899 - after the $200 off live.com rebate they come to $1600 and $1699.

8. emt1 macrumors 65816

You obviously have never bought a refurb from Apple. I am using one right now and it is flawless.

9. gonyr macrumors 6502

Refurb = new.

Sometimes even better, if you're lucky enough to get an upgraded machine. Always better on price.

10. hippo206 macrumors 6502

the weekend after new MBP were announce, i walked into Bestbuy, got the exact MBP you listed for 1449.

11. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I can +1 that

12. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

everything :apple: i own is a refurb...

13. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The same computer is $1600 - $150 mail in rebate at macmall. I understand that they process rebates in 2-3 weeks. The Apple Store will charge you tax on top of that.

14. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I have to agree with those who say refurbs are the way to go... Mine was perfect - basically brand new. And flawless. I'm happy, and will without hesitation buy refurbs directly from Apple. Brown box = good, and money saved.

15. HBOC macrumors 68020

YEah i would pass. I picked up a brand new 09/08 production model MBP 15" (the one in my sig) for $1599 w/the student discount. It was on the clearance section of apple.com a week ago last thursday. It was a great deal, given the fact that Best Buy was selling the same exact one the day i ordered it for $2399 or $2499..cant remember what the exact price was. Of course they "couldn't match it". 3 days later it ws down to $1799.

16. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

how is the 15.4" 2.4Ghz the "crappiest" one exactly?

17. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Lol, he thinks he'd notice the difference between it and a 2.6 GHz MBP.

18. ngoh thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh and I forgot to mention that I'm in Mexico, that's why, considering the situation, I saw it as such a good opportunity.

My bad, English is not my first language.. I couldn't find the correct word to explain myself clearly. I meant that out of the two old MBP models, the one available wasn't the best/top-notch one.

Thanks to all for this, I wasn't aware of the online refurb store. I'll see what I can do to order it from there considering that most of you haven't had any problems with your refurbs. :)

19. MBrolling macrumors member

$1626 good deal? You can get that same macbook pro for $1,443 on macmall with the rebate. On top of that when you check out they give you all these other options for software and bags and printers that can come out to be free after rebate (if you don't mind mailing them in). Search around you will find much better deals than that, and in another thread I was commenting on, someone mentioned ebay through live search which is doing a discount on sales (something around 25%). Or ask any friends that can get it through their UC store, I know of one that is offering those pros for $1299 for the 2.4 model and $1599 for the 2.5 model with 512mb nvidia.

20. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well if you want to really pinch pennies do what I did.

Buy 4 Amazon gift cards on ebay for $570 each, with each being worth only $500 (theres a catch).

Sign up for microsofts live cashback program and you get anywhere from 15-30% cashback for each purchase for up to $200 dollars. I bought 3 when it was at 30% and another when it was at 25% (long story). Anyways, now I'm due back $651 dollars from microsoft. From what I've read over at fatwallet, everyone is getting paid unless you try to do some shady things like buy and resell the same gift card. Some sellers are losing cashback on purchases they made. To stay on the safe side, the consensus is only buy don't sell.

The only real catch is that you need to put the money upfront and you have to wait 2 months to get your money back. I paid $2280 for the gift cards and after microsoft pays me I will have paid $1629 for $2000 dollars in amazon gift cards.

Currently on Amazon the Macbook pro is $1965-$100=$1865 rebate (rebate takes 2-3 months to recieve so more waiting).

So in the end, you end up paying just under $1500 bucks for the new Macbook Pro. Not sure where you are but here in California you don't have to pay taxes for goods bought from Amazon.

As far as I know thats the best deal you can get, but you need to have extra money to cover the cost till you get the laptop. I felt like I was jumping through hoops but mid-December I'll get a nice fat paycheck from Microsoft. Thankyou Microsoft.

Oh I forgot to say, right now cashback is at 25%, from what I've read, it'll go down to 20% and then to 15% and then back up to 30%.

21. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

haha that's funny. Penny saved is a penny earned though right? I was lazy and just bought a new one listed on Ebay and with the live discount it comes to $1600. So a $100 more but less work.

22. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Another +1. A co-worker bought a refurb MB, and I was bewildered at how flawless it was. And he saved like $250.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As a number of posters here have already suggested, buy refurb; they are excellent computers, are already tested and tried, sometimes have extra upgrades, and come with Apple's warranties and a generous discount. I'd also recommend buying from the local Applestore, that way, you are fully protected legally when you make a purchase.

Cheers and good luck