One Hour Drive to Apple Store to Buy iPhone vs. Nearby Verizon Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LaurieAnn, Dec 6, 2013.

1. LaurieAnn, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

** Read my update down in post #11

I am a current grandfathered unlimited data Verizon customer. I want to buy my first iPhone. I'm just trying to do my research before I pull the trigger. I'm looking at the 5s and plan on paying full retail for the phone to keep my unlimited data. Every time I browse inside a Verizon store, I get pressured by the Verizon associates about how I need to move to a tiered data plan because I use so little data each month. I don't care if I don't use that much data on my slow ancient DroidX. I know I will use a lot more data on a new iPhone 5s.

We have 4 smart phones all with unlimited data on our plan and only pay $198/month for everything. Their cheapest tiered data plan will still cost me more per month. So I must pay full retail for my new phone.

I'm considering driving an hour to the nearest Apple store just to avoid all this. I've never bought an Apple item at an Apple store before. Will the Apple associates set up a new iPhone for me right then and there on my Verizon account? Will the Apple associates try to get me to sign a new 2 yr. contract with Verizon if I want this phone?

If there are issues later with the phone that need to be taken care of, do I need to drive an hour back to the Apple Store to have it serviced? Or can I go to my nearest Verizon store instead?

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

You can take the phone to the Apple Store or Verizon. Doesn't matter :)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would just go to the closest place myself but that's just me :D

4. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Just be firm and stand your ground and don't let pushy salespeople bully you into agreeing to something you don't want.

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Doesn't matter where you go, but just make sure you don't loose your unlimited data. Check your receipt before you leave and make sure your plan/features were not changed, and features were not added (insurance) without your permission.

6. Ccrew, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

Ccrew macrumors 68020

I will say that there are a couple of options here.

Buy the phone from the Verizon store at full retail and have them add to the account. Yes, they can do it, it's no different than buying a replacement for a lost phone when you are not eligible for an upgrade.

Buy phone online @ Apple @ full price and call or go online to Verizon's site to change the phone on your existing plan.

Frankly, it sounds more like you won't stand up to the Verizon salespeople and are willing to drive an hour to not have to do so. No need to do that. That said, I've always had better luck with true Verizon stores versus Verizon Authorized resellers. Resellers make their $ on the plans they convert, not the phones they sell.

"I want to buy a phone at full retail and put it on my existing plan as a replacement phone. Is that clear enough?" puts a quick end to the sales babble. Don't engage in secondary conversation. That fear of consumers to say "No" is how they get you, similar to how Geek Squad sells warranties at Best Buy.

My favorite was Best Buy. They send roaming salespeople through the store selling phone upgrades.. Went Like this:
    "BB: "Mind if I check if you're eligible for upgrade?"
    Me: "I'm not"
    BB: A lot of people don't think they are, mind if I check?
    Me: "Sure, knock yourself out"
    BB: "Oh, I need the PIN number security code on your account"
    ME: "Not much for security if I just hand it to someone walking up to me in a store is it?"

That was the end of that :)

7. LaurieAnn thread starter macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

8. jj03 macrumors member

Please note this from my personal Experience, yes by going to verizon or an apple store can get you an apple iphone. But lets say hope this doesnt happen to you jus saying if you have a problem with your iphone and wants to get it replaced only place you can do is the apple store. So when you get it replace you dont get a fresh brand new iphone you only get an refurbished iphone from the apple store if you had got your iphone from verizon. But if you buy from apple store and go for replacement you get a brand new in the box frsh iphone. Trust me when i say this as i went through this already few times. SO i strongly suggest you get from Apple store itself GOOD LUCK!!!

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

I've had a good experience at radio shack and best buy buying iphones and not changing plans. They don't seem to care to do it, maybe they don't get much commission. You could also order online too.

10. boobie12 macrumors 6502

This makes no sense. Only way you'll get a brand new sealed replacement is if he returns and buy another one. Once your out the return period you'll get the same white boxed iphone like buying from anyone else. And there's nothing wrong with that. There all the same.

11. LaurieAnn thread starter macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

Update..... I ended up driving an hour to the nearest Apple store and purchased the iPhone 5s in Space Gray 32GB. It was a very pleasant and different experience. Much different than going to a Verizon store.

I was really impressed how the sales guy did everything from his phone right in the middle of the store where we were browsing. He activated my new iPhone on my existing grandfathered Verizon account. I was even shown by a different associate how to set up my Touch ID. I just wish we had an Apple Store close by because it was a really great first time buying experience.