One iMac now two iPads.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nottarf, Mar 4, 2014.

1. nottarf macrumors newbie

Hello, I run an iMac (2008) Maverick OS and an iPad2.

I use one Apple ID and carry out the normal adding, deleting and updating apps for the iPad.

My wife will soon have an iPad Mini so how do I manage adding, deleting and updating apps?

We will have to ‘share’ the iMac for updates etc.

I assume get her an Apple ID.

Anything else I need to do?

Thank you

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

The way I have set it up for friends in the past is to set up a new Admin account on the computer so they can have their own workspace with their own iTunes library and iPhoto library for syncing. Gets rid of the headache of having to locate your iTunes library every time you want to sync.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you and your wife want to share your iTunes purchases, music, and apps, there isn't anything particular you need to do on your iMac. Just connect the new iPad to your Mac, and for each iPad, you can pick and choose which contents you want to sync. If you and your wife have different tastes in music, create a "His" and "Her" playlist, and just sync that playlist to your respective iPad.

However, you will want to get your wife her own Apple ID, and use that to sign in to iMessage, FaceTime, and iCloud on her iPad. That way, you can keep your messages, calendar/contacts and backups separate. You can set up a new Apple ID from the new iPad when you first set it up. Just make sure that when you are asked to sign in to the iTunes store, you use your existing Apple ID. (If you miss that step, it's easy enough to go into Settings and sign out of the wrong account and sign back in to the correct one.)

To summarize:
    iTunes store -- use a shared Apple ID, in this case, yours
    everything else -- each user should use their own unique Apple ID

4. nottarf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Well an unexpected problem.

I set up the iPad mini, created a new Apple ID for my wife but Safari on the mini is showing all of my bookmarks that I have on my iPad!

e.g. this site MacRumors.

I have not yet even connected the mini to the iMac.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Go to Settings > iCloud, and make sure it is signed in to your wife's Apple ID.

6. zone23 macrumors 68000

The wife and I have separate accounts on the iMac and separate apple IDs. When if she wants to sync her iPad for some reason she uses her account. With cloud storage you don't really need to sync with iTunes very often. We do not share Apple IDs I don't want her apps, pictures, music, etc.

7. nottarf thread starter macrumors newbie

I have double checked the wife's mini. iCloud > account is her Apple ID could this be where I went wrong her Apple ID is
    Rxxx@icloud.com.

My ipad iCloud's > account is my Apple ID

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmm, that's weird. If the mini isn't signed into your Apple ID, your bookmarks shouldn't be showing up. Try turning Safari Sync off in iCloud settings. If it asks whether you want to keep or delete the bookmarks, select delete. Then wait a few minutes, and turn the sync back on.

9. nottarf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Cloud ID is my wife's R&&&&@icloud.com showing on the mini.

Followed your instructions, waited turned back on the sync and my bookmarks were showing also my contacts.

I repeated your instructions leaving "sync off" then I rebooted the mini.
    My bookmarks did NOT display, I then went Settings. > Safari and turned on sync I.e. to green, my bookmarks are again showing as are my contacts.

Odd though my calendar, notes and reminders are not showing on the mini.

As this is new I can contact Apple support on Monday.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ok, then it sounds like your bookmarks somehow or other got copied to your wife's iCloud account during setup. I'd suggest deleting ONE bookmark -- something you can quickly navigate back to if you need to find it again -- and wait half a day to make sure it doesn't disappear from your Mac or iPad. Once you determine that changing bookmarks on your wife's iPad doesn't affect yours, you can delete all of them.

11. nottarf thread starter macrumors newbie

Deleted one bookmark from the mini, waited. The same bookmark was not deleted from my iPad. Went ahead and deleted all bookmarks and all was fine.
    However all actions to delete the contacts were to no avail.

Contacted Apple went through various scenarios with first line support but again no fix. Handed over to a senior technician, checked all Apple ID's etc, all fine.
    How did I set up the new Apple ID and iCloud ID.

This was the problem I created this ID on my iMac not via the iPad mini. So my contacts were being synced to the iPad.

Via iCloud.com deleted all the contacts using my wife's iCloud ID. This solved the problem.

Thanks to iamMacPerson and Night Spring

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ha! Good to know that creating Apple ID on a Mac can cause this problem. Thank you for reporting back. Hope your wife enjoys her iPad.