One indecisive situation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Arkados, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Arkados macrumors regular

So, here's my situation. I switched to Apple about 3 years ago with a 2006 1,1 Mac Pro. Absolutely loved it until I got kernel panics daily. So I bought myself a 13in 2012/2013 middle of the line MBP. Loved how small it was and loved the portability, I went to school for graphic design and it was awesome not having to transfer between a flash drive or external everyday. But, it only had 4gb (I think) of ram and a dual core i5 which was not fun when multitasking, plus it was starting to get image retention issues with 5 months left on my warranty. So, I sold that on craigslist and bought a top of the line or next to it 15in MBP off the refurbished store. I love it but now that I am out of school I am finding it hard to work on, not with speed, or size of the screen but just because it is low to the desk I have to plug it into a monitor and keyboard and mouse and that just gets annoying. So I have been thinking a lot about buying a desktop but unsure of what to do. I use a middle of the line 21" IMac at work and love that. Although I would buy a 5k one. But I'm not sure how close away from Skylake we are and as bad as it sounds, I like having the best and the newest. But as soon as I think about that, I remember how that Mac Pro. Even though it was 6-8 years old it was working like a beast up until the end, plus the fact that its upgradeable. I just wanted to see what your input is. I would like something that has a dGPU so If I really want to bootcamp and game I can. Solid state is an option I have grown accustomed to, I have a mechanical hard drive at work and its so sluggish I can't stand it lol.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well the current 5K imacs are good machines, but there is a strong possibility that skylake desktop processors will be available in august and that there may well be an iMac refresh in autumn. Also AMD have new GPU's scheduled and apple seems to be going all AMD, it could be a significant upgrade and TB3. There might also be 4K 21.5 inch versions as well!!!

3. milleron macrumors member

This is an age-old question asked by thousands of computer users and enthusiasts in thousands of forums for the last 35 years. Unfortunately, it's impossible to answer because there will ALWAYS be new technology that's almost literally right around the corner — i.e., within a period that you could, conceivably, wait through. In my opinion, the current iMac 5K doesn't need a significant upgrade in it's display adapter or CPU. However, IF the 2015 will have Thunderbolt 1.3, AND you might like a secondary 5K monitor (Dell, $2,500 for the monitor alone), then, but probably only then, it might make sense to wait. If you don't think that you'll need the secondary 5K monitor, dive in now. The Retina display on the current 5K can be improved on only by making it larger, which sure ain't likely; it's "retina quality," and its vertical refresh is 60㎐ meaning that the human eye cannot for practical purposes distinguish its pixels. Hence, the display, itself, cannot be improved on. Your intended use will tell you which CPU to get, and I'll bet that it'll serve you better and longer than your original Mac Pro did. The first version of the Retina 5K is an unbelievably good and unbelievably affordable computer in that you're getting the computer and the 27" 5K display for about the same price as Dell would charge you for the display alone.

4. Arkados thread starter macrumors regular

I think the possibility of new thunderbolt and possibility of maybe USB-C is keeping me from buying now. Plus then I have to sell my MBP and if I got a new iMac I would definitely get a higher end model and with everything I wanted the 5k would be around 3500 lol. What's the possibility of it picking up USB-C?