One instance of battery drain identified

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macguy360, Oct 26, 2011.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I tend to try and wait for my battery to drain completely before fully charging it back up to 100%. I happened to drain it completely the other day and put it on the charger and it was fully charged before going to bed.

I woke up the next morning and the phone was at like 95% after being off the charger all night. I went to my college in the morning at around 6am to study for a test coming up later that morning. By 9am I look at my phone and the battery is down to 60%. I was blown away because I had not even been using my phone. I then realized, my school makes you log in to the wifi service in order to stay connected to it, but I had previously connected to it before with my phone so it was in the phones memory and my iPhone 4s spent the entire 3 hours trying to connect over and over again to the wifi. This burned through my battery very quickly.

There is no option to have your wifi service only connect on choice to previously remembered wifi. There is only notification option of available wifi which will ask you prior to connecting to new wifi options. The only other option is to turn off your wifi all together.

So keep in mind that if you have a wifi source that you have previously used for your phone and you might be on the border of where that service is available, your phone might be disconnecting and reconnecting to the wifi. This can cause significant battery drain.

2. tritondroid macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing this. Why did you phone try to connect to WiFi over and over again? Was it because of weak WiFi signal?

3. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

This is news?

a) Don't keep your wifi on all the time
    b) In your case, since you do, log on to the campus wifi once you get there and you won't have to worry about it. Simple.

4. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

I think it was just meant as a heads up. I wouldn't have thought of this really, but good to know. Thanks OP

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

A weak or unreliable 3G signal will chew through a battery as it'll turn up the RF gain.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It will be interesting to see what Apple does, and how long it takes them to resolve the battery problem.

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

My battery drains alot at work due to there being no 3G so it is always searching for a connection...which is why i have lost over 40% on a 12 hour shift.

8. kellemar macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what you want Apple to fix if scanning for a WiFi point is pretty normal.

9. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yep I turn off 3G, location services and wifi quite often if I'm travelling about. It eats battery enormously.

I wish Apple would bring in some form of optional profile or smart switching so that the phone could react to poor signals better. Not everyone lives in the city and has perfect signal.

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Wish I could switch 3G but you cant sadly.

location services shouldn't really affect battery life unless you are using something in location services.