One internet Connection + Airport & Linksys

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmclane187, May 30, 2009.

1. jmclane187 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone -

I live with a friend use lets me share his internet connection throughout the house. But he mostly uses a PC and therefore runs a Linksys router for wifi. It works fine except he set it up to run Mac filtering (i'm a mac user), which makes it frustrating if another mac user is at the house (like for a meeting) and can't connect to the wifi.

I'm curious if it is possible for my housemate to continue to run his linksys router, while i plug in my airport extreme into the same internet connection. Will both networks work ok? He said he is fine with me figuring it out as long as he can keep his linksys up and running for himself.

any suggestions?

2. cube macrumors G5

That is MAC filtering, not Mac filtering.

You have to allow the MAC address of the network card on the Mac to connect to the router.

3. jmclane187 thread starter macrumors newbie

right, that is what i'm trying to avoid dealing with every time there is a new user. can i set up a separate wifi network with my airport, using the same cable internet connection?

i'm sorry if i'm not being specific enough -

4. cube macrumors G5

MAC addresses are for 1 LAN or WLAN. You need your own router connected to the WAN router and set up all the IP routing properly.

5. cube macrumors G5

Although if you're not going to do MAC filtering on your own router your friend might just as well turn it off in his WAN router.
    In addition, now hackers can gain access by breaking into any of your 2 WLANs.

6. jmclane187 thread starter macrumors newbie

so in other words the WAN (which i assume is the router the cable company provided, where the internet comes from) can run two different wifi routers out of it. right? thanks for the help -

7. cube macrumors G5

For your friend to be happy, maybe you have to buy 2 routers to hang from the WAN router, one for you and one for your friend. Then in his LAN router he can block all traffic from your LAN router.