One iPad, multiple users

Discussion in 'iPad' started by leez, Apr 26, 2012.

1. leez macrumors regular

leez

As in topic, need it. Any ideas how to address this ? Would be sweet to have a login screen (like Facebook app, when you log out), where you could choose as who to login. Different Apple IDs probably, one place to store apps, just flag which apps are installed for different users, save app layouts for each one.

I'm using it in my living room, two, three users with me. Can't be bothered anymore to logout from Facebook every single time...

Won't jailbreak...

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

iOS has no concept of a user login. Its meant to be a one-username/password device.

There are many applications you can get on the App store that will give you some privacy for your surfing habits and/or storing of files if that's your concern. GoodReader, for example, supports password-protected files. Stash and other apps will give you a virtual vault to not only store your stuff (pictures/videos) but also a private web browser that sits behind these password-protected user accounts.

Of course, you can also just set up multiple email accounts on the iPad. But things like Message and FaceTime are meant to be attached to the primary AppleID associated with the iPad. No switching user profiles or logging in/out is possible within iOS currently.

3. b.c. macrumors 6502

I've been wanting this too, ever since I bought the original iPad. I wish iOS would support multiple users natively. Perhaps completely separate users like OS X isn't necessary but it would be nice if there was a one-click way to switch profiles for things like email, iCloud contacts & calendars, twitter etc.

my current solution? I bought the new iPad and gave the iPad 1 to my wife

:)

4. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Thanks for your reply and advice. Well, I'm not worried about the privacy so much...it's just about them not messing up my settings :).

iOS is unix based, user accounts are bond to the core of it, so I can see it happening in the future...

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

We have an older iPad2 as our "family room" tablet. One thing I've done is to set up individual family members with their own app folder under their name. That way they at least keep all of their unique apps in one place and don't clutter it up for everyone else.

Not going to help you that much for apps like Facebook, however, as you've already discovered.

6. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

7. klo-mac macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

No, for me is ok. Don't want someone else touch my iPad