One iphone4, two itunes libraries?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by posnera, Mar 14, 2011.

1. posnera macrumors regular

Ive got a laptop and a desktop (both mac). I use the laptop to sync my podcasts, contacts, apps, etc. My main itunes library resides on the desktop. Is there a way to get music/videos from the desktop onto the iphone? Currently I'm using home sharing to transfer the files to the laptop itunes, putting them on the iphone, then deleting from the laptop. I know itunes won't let me do this, but is there other software that will?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You could move your iTunes library to an external drive, and then point iTunes on each machine to that drive. Leave the drive connected to your desktop until you get ready to sync, and then connect it via USB or firewire to the laptop.:) Or better yet, just move the entire library to the laptop, or start syncing from the desktop.

3. posnera thread starter macrumors regular

Not that those aren't reasonable suggestions, but they won't work for me.

I keep itunes open all the time for Home Sharing from the desktop to an AppleTV. If I have two instances of itunes open from the same library, the library file can get corrupted. I'm also not dealing with swapping hard drives.

Unless there is a software solution that will allow me to get media from the desktop directly (there seem to be Windows programs that do this, but not Mac) I'll just stick with my current plan - if I queue up the transfers, they will go overnight and I can sync to the phone in the morning.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

There doesn't have to be a software solution...Use an external, or a thumb drive, copy it from you pc to your Mac. SIMPLE