Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiveBum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2009
I have multiple iOS devices... (two iPhone 4's, one GS, two G and two iPads). All of the devices sync to different machines and under different user profiles. I realize that each device has it's own update so what I would want to do is download one version of each OS put it on a centralized HD and point the update process to that file instead of having to download a copy for each device. Can anyone tell me how to do this. Having to download multiple copies of of a 600MB file is really a pain.

Thanks

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
I don't think you have any other option but to have multiple copies.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You can point iTunes to the downloaded firmware by doing shift/ctrl/alt/option + update. (I can never remember which key it is, I just try all combinations until it works. :p)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have multiple iOS devices... (two iPhone 4's, one GS, two G and two iPads). All of the devices sync to different machines and under different user profiles. I realize that each device has it's own update so what I would want to do is download one version of each OS put it on a centralized HD and point the update process to that file instead of having to download a copy for each device. Can anyone tell me how to do this. Having to download multiple copies of of a 600MB file is really a pain.

Thanks

Like said above, there is no ONE .ipsw file that will work for all devices.
You have to get the correct one for each device or it will not restore/upgrade to it.
You can download any version of Apples official ipsw's here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

warrmr

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Like said above, there is no ONE .ipsw file that will work for all devices.
You have to get the correct one for each device or it will not restore/upgrade to it.
You can download any version of Apples official ipsw's here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

What i think he wants is a central repository where he can have 1 copy of IOS4 for the iP4, one copy for the 3g phones and 1 copy for the pair of iPads.

as by the sounds of it he has a few pcs syncing the different i Products and he has a quarm with 600mb update files on all of his computers.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
What i think he wants is a central repository where he can have 1 copy of IOS4 for the iP4, one copy for the 3g phones and 1 copy for the pair of iPads.

as by the sounds of it he has a few pcs syncing the different i Products and he has a quarm with 600mb update files on all of his computers.

I see.
He can grab them all from the link above and maybe store them somewhere for future use then.

DiveBum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2009

Hi, and thank you all for your valued input. As warrmr did do a better job explaining it than I did; I would like to download one copy of each of the ipsw file for the iPhone 4, one for the G, one for the iPads, and one for the GS. This way I only have to download four updates (vice 7) and put them on one shared HD. This way I can update my wife's and my iPhone 4, her's with her MacBook and mine with my MacBook Pro. My daughter's iPad and her 3GS with her Gateway XP machine and my iPad.... well you get the idea. This not only makes sense in conserving bandwidth (and time) resources on my end but on Apple's end as well.

Bill

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
I keep all mine on a memory stick so I can update or restore if something ever happens when I'm out and about or travelling etc. Storing them on a network accessible drive is a good idea too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.