One issue with my SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dcpmark, Mar 31, 2016.

1. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

When I get a text the screen won't wake up. My iPad 4 wakes up, my old iP 6 wakes up, and my Apple Watch wakes up, but my new SE won't wake up the screen. And no notification sound. If I wake it up the text is there in the lock screen, but it won't wake up by itself.

Any ideas? TIA!

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Have you checked Notifications to make sure Sound, Badges, and Banners are turned on for messages? Other than that idk.

3. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input. Yep, checked that, then turned them off and back on again. Also reset the iPhone a few times. No difference. It works perfectly with the screen on.....texts, emails, and notification sounds work. But when the screen goes off, no sounds and doesn't wake up for any notifications.

4. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I'd probably give Apple a ring and see what they suggest. You might need to reset the phone or consider an exchange. I hope you find a solution. Keep us posted.

5. jldesutter83 macrumors regular

jldesutter83

Did you accidently turn on Do Not Disturb (the Cresent moon in the control center)?

6. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, but thanks for trying to help.

7. jldesutter83 macrumors regular

jldesutter83

No problem. I hope you get it figured out!

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Does this apply to any messages from anyone, or only certain contacts/groups? Perhaps you have conversation level (as opposed to system level) DND enabled within the messages app itself ?

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you have a watch paired to your phone, it is supposed to offload the notifications to the watch and wake that up instead of the phone. It sounds to me like it's working as it should

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Phil A hit the nail on the head. The watch stops the phones from making notification sounds.

As it should.

11. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I must have set it up differently this time when I paired my watch with the SE. My old 6 used to get notifications that woke up the screen, and I'm pretty sure the watch was set to "mirror" the notifications on the phone. Is there a setting that I'm missing to change it so both devices alert with sound and the SE screen wakes up?

12. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

After Phil's input, I went back to test all the behaviors, and everything seems to be functioning as Phil said. When the screen is sleeping, the watch gets the notifications, but if the screen is awake, the iPhone gets the notifications. I don't think I noticed this before because I keep my iPhone in a dock in my office with a clock app running.....hence the screen is always on.

Thanks to everyone, especially Phil, for helping me solve this....glad I don't have to exchange or return the SE!

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think it depends on how you have notifications on the watch set up. If you are using "custom" or "mirror iPhone". I believe custom would still cause the phone to wake.

14. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now that Phil pointed put how it's supposed to work, and I can control whether I still get the alerts on my phone by launching the clock app, I'm totally content.....I actually prefer it this way rather than being one way or another every time.