One iTunes Library on multiple computers.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tsurisuto, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

Okay so here's my setup:

iPhone
    MacBook Pro (10.6.2)
    Mac mini (10.6.2)
    Airport Extreme with a USB Hard Drive

I would like to set up one iTunes Library so both of my computers can access it. Furthermore I would like to be able connect my iPhone to any of the computers in the house and sync my music, podcasts and applications as normal.

Here's what I've tried so far (which worked with my music, but didn't work with podcasts and iPhone application, etc).

1. Copied all the music to my Mac mini.

2. Opened iTunes Preferences and pointed my library to the 'Music' my NAS drive.

3. Went to File > Library > Organise > Consolidate Library.

Now my NAS iTunes library has all my music, but has no library file or XML file in it. Plus if I add ratings to any of my music, the information is not transferred over to my other computer.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I don't think you can do this. I'm pretty sure that the xml files stay in the iTunes folder in your home directory. The music you can move wherever you like, as you know. But you're going to have to keep syncing your iPhone with just one computer AFAIK.

3. esaleris macrumors 6502

1. Go to where you typically keep your iTunes library files (Documents/Music/iTunes). Move them onto the drive with the music.

2. Open iTunes with any computer while holding down the "Option" button. Point to location of library. Make sure all the files play.

3. Close iTunes.

4. Open iTunes on another computer while holding down the "Option button" and point to location of library.

Caveat: You can't open the library in two different locations.
    Syncing: Syncing music can be done at any location, but syncing with other items (calendar, contacts) are done locally through the LocalSync service.