One key is broken...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by catan, Feb 22, 2017.

1. catan macrumors member

Hey all,

I'm about to join a web development bootcamp, and my machine (2013 15" rMBP) has plenty of power for that purpose. However I discovered recently that one of the keys ("z") is completely unresponsive and upon visiting the Geniuses they confirmed after running the usual tests that I would need to pay ~$500 to replace the topcase since it is out of warranty.

Is this worth doing just for one key (albeit an important one because of 'undo') or should I just invest in a new Macbook? Would the 12" Macbook be sufficient for Rails development?

2. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

What about mapping another key to the "z" key, like cap locks key or left shift. Not sure if that's possible but there in the same place range and that could buy you some more time.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I am not sure what your desires and needs are.

I'll assume the most inexpensive is a priority, in order of lowest cost first;
    1. Key mapper, as IngerMan suggested. Note: some have not been updated for Sierra yet (no idea of what OS you are using).
    2. External keyboard (USB or bluetooth).
    3. Replace rMBP top case.
    4. Buy a new computer.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

How mobile are you?
    Is either a wired or a compact bluetooth keyboard doable?

5. catan thread starter macrumors member

I suppose it wouldn't be a problem to try to remap "z". Btw I'm running Sierra.

6. chipchen macrumors 6502

Get a bluetooth or USB keyboard. Or, repair the laptop yourself by replacing just the keyboard. Part will be less than $50 probably and you just need to be VERY meticulous when doing the repair. You don't need a whole top case like they do at Apple.

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

They'll most likely be replacing the battery as during that repair. Keyboard, top, battery (and I think maybe even the trackpad too.)

Silly thing is, is that I think if you just get the battery replaced, that includes a top case replacement too. Maybe try to see if you can have the battery replaced for the normal fee, and then ask them, "hey, while you're in there replacing the battery, would you mind replacing the keyboard while you're at it? I'll pay for the keyboard."