One Key Launch of Apps ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lugesm, Sep 8, 2007.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Please forgive my lack of knowledge here. I am a long-time PC user, just converting to MAC . . . . and struggling.

With Windows XP I was able to launch an application with a single keystroke.
    Bringing up the "info" on an application's alias opened a box wherein a shortcut key could be defined.

This was a really useful feature of Windows, but I have not been able to find a similar function in OSX. Would appreciate any comments or help.

Regards,
    L

2. gvg45 macrumors member

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I use youpi key to define shortcuts. It used to be freeware till a couple of years ago. When it changed to iKey and the developpers started charging a shareware fee I did not upgrade. In fact I'm now waiting until leopard comes out to see if it gets broken with the upgrade or Apple integrates it in the Os.

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Is there any reason to believe Leopard will incorporate that feature?

Windows has provided the feature for years.

Is there a site that provides intel on the Leopard release?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you seriously wanting to launch with a single key? Every key on the keyboard is used by applications... what, do you really never type the "p" key in any of your documents, so that you can give it up to launch apps? How would you spell "application?"

You at least mean a two key combo, don't you? ;)

Assuming you do, there really isn't any reason to expect this to show up in Leopard. Not very many Mac users seem to want it.

FWIW, though, look at my post in this thread....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=348578

It lists two more options for multi-key hotkeys, beyond Quicksilver and iKey.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I'm on a Windows laptop right now and never heard of this....until now...but it's true. You can assign a single key to open an App.

I'm guessing that he could assign some of the higher F keys to this if possible. They go up to what....F16 on the old keyboard, and F19 on the new one.

I'm guessing System Preferences doesn't allow you to map a key to launching a program?

-Kevin

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, but the linked apps do... between them, one of them should do pretty much whatever you want.

Yeah, I guess if you have an F16 key, I dunno...I guess I just don't understand the whole appeal.

8. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Quicksilver is definitely the thing you should be looking into.

9. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Of course . . . my "one key" comment refers to function keys. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Windows allows a single function key to launch a given application, or it can launch Internet Explorer and open a specific Internet site.

I had my PC set to launch Internet Explorer (later Firefox), Outlook Express (mail), MS Word, MS Excel, and five other items of interest . . . all from function keys. You can also use dual-key or triple-key launches such as control-P or control-alt-Q to launch other items, either web sites or applications. Very handy. My PC was set to launch Quicken by hitting control-alt-Q.

No, I am not whining, just trying to learn. Yes, I love a lot of things about my new iMac, but I sure do miss a lot of the little things built into WinXP that Mac is missing. I guess you gain something and you lose something when you switch to Mac.

10. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'm going to have to pipe up in agreement with the other posters who have recommended Quicksilver. At first glance it's not exactly what you're asking for, but I believe you will find it's precisely what you want. Seriously. I think you'll love it.

In particular I recommend switching it to "Bezel" mode for the user interface, but the functionality is what you will find indispensable.

EDIT: yikes, what bad timing. It looks like the Quicksilver website is broken at the moment. Don't hold that against the app. :) While you wait, here's a great review of Quicksilver to get you excited about it.