One last 21.5" iMac question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by js81, Apr 7, 2010.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

OK, so after my debacle with the used 24" iMac I bought on eBay, I will be ordering a new iMac this week or next (as soon as I get my refund from the eBay purchase). I have $1200 to spend (at most), so I'm pretty much limited to the low end 21.5". However, for what I do, that model is more than sufficient. Here's my options:

1) I can get a refurb of the base 21.5" for $999 - add 6% KY sales tax and you've got $1058.94.

2) Macconecction.com has the same base 21.5" for $1169 with a $70 mail in rebate, plus no KY sales tax. I'd pay $1099 total for it, and its brand new.

3) I can squeeze to get the same base 21.5" (refurb) with the upgraded 3.33GHz processor for $1199 plus tax, $1270.94 total.

4) I doubt it, but I might could squeeze a little more for the 21.5" with the Radeon 4670 graphics for $1299 plus tax, or the previous 24" 2.93GHz w/ GT120 for $1279 plus tax. I really doubt this is an option, however, because I'd be at least $150 over my budget and my wife would probably kill me. :)

What do you guys think? Is it worth $40 more overall to get a new iMac - however it would be from a reseller... which is better, refurb from Apple or new from someone else? Also, is the 3.33GHz processor worth at least $170 more or not? Opinions and thoughts are appreciated...

2. ds111 macrumors member

3. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Leanin' that way myself. I know Apple refurbs are good, but it was returned for some reason. I think I'd rather take my chances with a new one...

4. sn0wman72 macrumors member

Something to consider may be the ease of a return. I am nor sure what the resellers policy is, Apples is pretty straight forward.

I am kind-of in the same boat as you...leaning to refurb

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If you can swing it I would incline to Option 4, the refurb with the graphics card and 1Tb hard drive. If you have as much as 500Gb of stuff to store then getting the model with 1Tb vs 500Gb is much better. Also a denser drive is a faster drive and the graphics card won't hurt at all.

If you don't need the extra space or do much video then I would consider the $999 refurb. This way if there is a problem you can easily deal with Apple directly.

http://www.refurb.me/

I bought my first Mac two weeks ago, this 27" base model for $1,450. Everything about it looks brand new and works perfectly. With the money I saved I will double the RAM but honestly, I don't need it. I do mostly photo editing and it sings.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Apple doesnt care where you buy it from as long as they are Apple Certified, which MC is.

I pay tax from apple and no tax at MC like you, I have always bought the new.

Use whatever extra $$ you have to double the ram or add a nice backup drive.

7. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm leaning toward the new 3.06 from Macconnection. Since they are Apple Certified, if I get a screen with the yellow issue I shouldn't have any problem returning it, right? Would I deal with Mac Connection or with Apple? I know warranty would be with Apple, but I'm just not sure about an initial problem. Hopefully we're past the yellow screens and it won't be an issue.

Also, I have 2GB of extra RAM (removed from my sister's unibody Macbook when I upgraded it to 4GB), so I'll have 6GB any way about it. :)

EDIT: Also, I've already got a decent-enough (320GB) backup drive from my previous iMac.

8. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I believe the older iMacs had just 2 RAM slots, so unless the new iMacs have been upgraded to more than 2 RAM slots you'll be stuck at 4GB (since I assume Apple bundles the iMacs with 2x2GB sticks for 4GB total, so if you take out 1 2GB stick and put in your 2GB stick from your sister's Macbook....you'll still end up with 4GB). Upgrading to 6GB will require a 4GB stick of RAM which is like $200 alone :(.

9. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Na, the new ones have 4 slots. Click here and then click tech specs to see it. It comes with 2x2GB and 2 free slots.

10. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Ah, that's good to know thanks! You'll get your 6GB then :), enjoy!