Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolcorgi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Florida
I'm hoping an owner of a 20" & 24" Imac can help me out, as this one question/answer is holding me up from ordering. It is a very basic, simple "spec" - yet I have not been able to find the answer anywhere.

I need to know the - "total height" - (stand + monitor/screen) of the 20" Imac and 24" Imac please! To clarify, from your office desk/table top, to the top ledge of the imac's monitor/screen.

I was able to find "the" Height and Width "specs" for both the 20" (h=18.6" X w=19.4) & 24" (h=20.6 X w=22.6) on the Apple Store's website. However, IT DOES NOT SPECIFY whether the height given is for the "MONITOR/SCREEN ONLY", or it the figure "INCLUDES the STAND" (total).

I sure hope the 20.6" height spec for the 24" - IS for the total (stand & monitor). Either way - the Imac is a GIANT (TALL!!) Something is not adding up - or it's probably cause I'm just goofy. For it would seem like everybody would have to be sitting on "Bar Stools"; or, sitting their Imacs on the floor!?! According to basic, accepted ergonomic standards; your eyes should be "just below the top" horizonal edge of the monitor. I have a normal/standard/nice "steelcase" office desk and chair. The desk "top" is just under 30" from the floor. Add the 20.6" height to that = 50.6". That's over 4ft high! The 20" Imac's height is only 2" shorter.

I'm 5'9" tall. Maybe I'm sitting unusually low, but again, according to ergonomic principles......my thighs are horizontal to the floor with my feet flat on the floor. Guess I'm going to need to get a "foot stool" or a much shorter desk!

Perhaps I'm missing something here......obviously, as I have not seen the "height" being a factor/issue on this or other forums. Please help, as this was the last bit of info I needed before ordering. I would really appreciate an accurate measurement from an owner of the 20" & 24".

Thanks Tons!
coolcorgi

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Height is from top to bottom. The details on the tech specs site are correct and refer to the distance from the top of the iMac to the bottom where it hits the desk.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
The dimensions that apple lists include the base. so the height given is from the bottom of the base to the top of the unit.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I can't help you with the height, but I believe the correct position is that your eyes should be level with an imaginary line 1/3 of the height of the screen, which knocks several inches off the height you should be at. You can factor that in.

Really the 24" should be height adjustable.

coolcorgi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Florida
Really appreciate the fast responses, answers to my "height" question!!

I've been wearing myself out over which "size" (20/24) I should get. Some say.......well, if you can afford it - do it! I would have to say that, yes - I can afford it. However, I don't see where that answer, or question for that matter; is really relevant and/or appropriate in this scenario.

Despite having an XBox 360, I do little to no gaming. No editing, graphics, pro apps, etc. I mainly just use my computer for internet research, surfing, shopping/buying and email. But I do a bunch of it!! I spend at least 6+ hours a day, every day at my computer. I love it. And let me say this......performance and speed are very important to me. But so is 500 clams! I'm going to be getting rid of a bunch of stuff via Ebay soon, so I will have to dust the Cannon G5 off and learn how to utilize/sync/download/etc. I can see where I might even have an internet sales/website business at some point in the future as well; but that may never happen.

From what I can gather, the difference in performance (in my case/use) between the 20 & 24; would be very marginal, if any!?! yes or no? Either way, whether I buy the 20 or 24; I would order the video upgrades, along with 2mg of ram in each. Instead of assuming, I may as well ask the experts here to clarify/verify and "render their opinion" as to the performance aspect/question, considering my particular computer use, between the 20 & 24" Imacs!?

(for 3 pts)......True/False?

Gratefull,
coolcorgi

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Since both have the same processor, and you intend to put the same amount of RAM in either, the only performance difference concerns the video. Upgrading the 24" gets you a better video card but upgrading the 20" model only gets you extra video RAM (which buys you very little).

Since you use your computer many hours every day, and your tasks are not demanding, I would go with the 20" with standard video. The smaller machine is more comfortable to sit in front of. Put the extra money into a nice external backup drive or speakers or whatever makes you happy.

coolcorgi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Florida
appreciate that emptyCup.....

for clarifying the difference in the video upgrades on 20/24.

better card vs extra ram

coolcorgi

Liong612

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
Go with 20 with almost maximum spec

If you are not into graphics design stuff, and mainly not for games nor playing dvd, just go with 20" but maximize the spec. Go with 2.33 ghz, 500g bytes hd or more?, and 2 gb memory (at least), and 256 mb video memory. I 'd rather you spend the money you have to maximize the internal spec than for the size of the screen.
Such a big screen may make your room / bedroom / whatever, looks strange. Not too mention, may not be good for your eyes. Well this is just my personal opinion. Anyway, you can't go wrong with iMac!!! Trust me. I have just bought one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.