One Library on Internal Drive, One On External - How?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ducks15, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ducks15 macrumors newbie

I have searched extensively for this and not found the perfect answer, so apologies!

I have a 250GB External Drive which holds my roughly 100GB iTunes Library plus some other stuff.

I am going to be moving back and forth with my MBP more often now and would like to use the Multiple Libraries feature of iTunes to create a library of, say, 30GB of songs which I want to store on my laptop. When I am at home I would select the external (larger) of the two libraries.

Exactly how do I achieve this?

I have tried copying 20 or so songs to my laptop, creating a new library and adding them to iTunes, but all this does is create duplicate copies of the songs on my external drive, when I want that library to be specific to my laptop hard disk. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

2. ducks15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but that does not strictly answer my question.

I don't want to move the library, I simply want to know how to create a new (smaller) one in addition to the main library on my external drive.

The 5th paragraph in my original post details my additional question.

Thanks

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

What about creating a new blank library.
    Then make sure that the settings are that it doesn't "consolidate" (setting somewhere). This means (I believe) that the files stay in their original location.
    Then go into the other big library and import the artist/album stuff that you want.
    That's the idea. Many details missing.